The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nate and Heather's Wedding

Mazel tov! So anyway, today my partner in deliciousness emailed me to see if I was still alive. Her inquiry made me realize that I should probably make a post as I haven't done so since Fridayish. It's just that I've been recuperating from the wedding this whole time. Yep, it was a doozey.

The wedding was this last Saturday at the Tennis House in Prospect Park. The ceremony itself started at 7:00p, but there were hors d'oeuvres, cocktails and lawn games starting at 4:00p. Already I smelled trouble. I started off with a Stella, but then noticed that the bartender was making caipirinhas. Full blown trouble. So, while sipping down the evil temptresses that were the caipirinhas, I scarfed down lots of yummy hors d'oeuvres, namely shrimp skewers, chicken and pineapple skewers and some delicious little roast beef finger sandwiches. There were two other types of finger sandwiches, but I ignored them due to their lack of meat. I think one was cucumber (classic) and the other was some sort of roasted pepper spread. Not my cup of tea.

After the ceremony, which had an impromptu Queen Latifah show blaring in the background, dinner was served. While all of my friends were scrambling around looking for a large enough table to accommodate all of us, I decided to just help myself to some food. There was a nice selection of cold salady type things (pasta, potato, etc.), as well as barbecued chicken and grilled flank steak. I loaded my plate up with red bliss potato salad, haricots verts in a super nice blue cheese sauce, one chicken drumstick and as many pieces of flank steak as I could without being scowled at by fellow guests. All of my friends thought it was really just like me to saunter up to the table with a full plate of food, while they had been sitting at the table the entire time. Ha. Later, Ilan and Mike W. went back up to the buffet and returned with glorious heaping plates of chicken and beef, so we could all continue to gorge ourselves like some sort of weird carnivorous family.

After dinner, Papper and I played bocce against Zach and Antonia. Don't worry, we won, but it was really close. I made the winning shot! Then I danced a little to some surf music and watched Eli and Cooper play horseshoes. Just after midnight it was off to the Gate (on the way there, we happened upon a shopping cart, which I encouraged Ted to get in and then we pushed him the rest of the way), then to Zach's after last call. Around 5:00a I met a weird wedding guest and hung out with him until around 3:00p the next afternoon at Nate and Heather's. He was just so weird - I think I might love him.

So anyway, the next day (or later the same really long day if you're me) Nate had people over for a post-wedding bbq. There was steak, sausages, the most pork I had ever seen (v. nicely prepared by Ted) and some new potatoes. Oh, and corn. And lots of leftover Stella, Red Stripe and some amazing Hendrick's gin.

Suffice it to say, I am totally exhausted from the weekend's events.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

Maybe the weird wedding guest was the same person who wrote that love letter to that restaurant. Did you ask?

I've been wanting to try Hendricks. Maybe I'll invest in the bottle. They always advertise in the New Yorker and it looks so nice and old-timey.

August 16, 2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Definitely a different sort of weirdo. He was totally manic and insane, but I seriously could not stop talking to him. He's gone now. Actually, he lives where you just came from! 50/50 chance and it's not Japan, so that narrows it down a bit.

I think it would be quite nice to have a Hendrick's party with refreshing G and T's and Tom Collinses (plural of Collins?).

August 16, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I don't know, but we have to have it soon before the summer draws to an end.

SHR - When do you think we can have the RP? Do Skippy and Cortney want to do it?

August 16, 2006 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home