The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Everything I Consumed Yesterday

Brunch

Stone Park (5th Avenue and 3rd Street, Park Slope) with Jim. I had the short rib hash and eggs and two black iced coffees. The hash was phenomenal. The braised short ribs were so tender and delicious, perfectly complimented by diced up Yukon Gold potatoes. I ordered my eggs poached, which is really the only way to get them when eating hash.

After brunch we headed over to Floyd for some bocce practice. My game was just so-so, but man, Jim was in the ZONE. I was especially trying to drink in moderation because I had a wedding to go to at 7:30p and didn't want to arrive completely inebriated, but true to form, I got totally drunky. I started off with a Pink Lemonade Island Punch. This drink was lethal as it had a generous amount of vodka in it, but tasted like Ocean Spray's discontinued line of tropical juices, Mauna Lai, causing one to think that they are not in fact imbibing alcohol. Sensing danger, I switched to Hoegaarden. I ended up having four or five of those though, so I found my goal to not get drunk pre-wedding to be utterly elusive. Jim, sensible as he is, kept encouraging me to drink water. Since I was already fairly drunky by the time I got home, I decided to pop open the Portuguese rose I picked up the other day. I had two glasses while getting ready for the wedding.

The Wedding

Mazel tov to Liz and Noah! This was a great wedding with lots of tasty food and drinks. Great dancing too - I convinced the DJ to play White Lines! Actually, Liz and Noah had their first dance to Prince's "Kiss", which I thought was really cool. The only song that might have been cooler is "This Must Be the Place" by the Talking Heads. Anyway, as soon as I got off the elevator someone handed me a glass of Veuve Clicquot rose. YES! Then I switched to gin and tonics. I must have had at least five of those. Now, I don't know if it was the booze or what, but I didn't have a SINGLE passed hors d'oeuvre, which is incredibly odd for me. I'm the type of person who brings flip flops in my purse to help chase down roving waiters!

When I finally decided to eat, I went to the Asian station and had two yummy cod skewers, two little spring rolls and three dumplings. A short while later, I went to the Mexican station and got two amazing mini-taco shell bowl thingies. The first had a layer of guacamole topped with a delicious scoop of crab salad. The second was even more amazing. It had the same guac situation, but was filled with a scoop of succulent shredded duck! I also got a shot of chilled cucumber soup and a mojito from this station. The third station was Italian, but I never made it over there. Though I did steal one ravioli from my friend Ingrid's plate. Much later, I snuck back to Asia to get two more cod skewers and spring rolls. Towards the end of the evening, I switched over to Red Stripe. The first was poured into a glass. I was like, "can't I just have it in the bottle?" and the bartender said no. Sheesh. The second was served to me in the bottle. Go figure.

Nate's Bachelor Party

After the wedding, I decided to head downtown to Nate's bachelor party. I don't know what I was thinking because I knew I had to be up by 7:30a to make the 8:00a Fung Wah bus to Boston en route to Maine. Suffice it to say, I missed it completely and am in NYC instead of beautiful Little Cranberry Island. Boo. Anyway, as soon as I got to the bar, someone handed me a lychee martini. It was really strong and totally put me over the top. The good news is that I spilled most of it on the Chinesey Mandarinish silk shirt I was wearing. Just in case the martini didn't ruin it enough though, I also apparently was too stupid to work the little cloth buttons on it, so busted out of it Incredible Hulk style. I found the evidence this morning. Yikes.

4 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

oh beth, whatever happened to in moderation?

August 07, 2006 4:01 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Moderation abandoned me after my second Hoegaarden at Floyd. Come to think of it, this is the second time I've hung out with Jim on a Saturday afternoon at Floyd and ended up getting irreparably wasted later that night. Maybe it's not all the booze after all - maybe it's just JIM! He IS pretty intoxicating.

August 07, 2006 5:01 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Surewhynot - Hello! Where did you go for so long? Have you shared your adventures in pretzeling yet? I'm going to look right now!

August 08, 2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Ha! I should just give you my lychee martini stained shirt... you could probably get drunk off of it for days!

August 09, 2006 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home