The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Last Night's Dinner: Cozy Soup 'n' Burger

Last night, after seeing An Inconvenient Truth, Lauren and I decided that we needed some sort of food. I hadn't eaten dinner yet and was pretty ravenous. We eventually ended up at Cozy's (Broadway at Astor Place). I hadn't been there in years (well, possibly year), but I used to go there all the time with my friend Abbey when I was at NYU. Once we cut our 9:00a ballet class (this class met FIVE days a week and was only worth ONE credit - what were we thinking?) because we thought getting breakfast there and discussing another class we were slacking off in would be a better use of our time. Looking back on it, I think we may have been wrong. Another time, Ab and I went there and we were WASTED, so I asked the people at the neighboring table if I could eat one or two of their onion rings. They said YES. Too bad Youthlarge and I weren't drunk the time we saw that dumb kid waste a meatball at the old diner on Union Square East! Oh well.

As I do roughly 94% of the time when dining at Cozy's, I ordered the Cozy turkey burger deluxe with a side of gravy for my fries. The 'Cozy Burger' is topped with fried onions, mushrooms and cheese and is quite delicious. Lauren, who is at the opposite end of the eating spectrum from me, ordered a mixed salad, a side of steamed broccoli and a scoop of cottage cheese. She encouraged me to eat some of her vegetables. I begrudgingly agreed to eat one broccoli florette, which I hid behind my turkey burger for most of the meal. It dawned on me that I could just dip the broccoli in some gravy to make it more palatable. Well, my scheme totally worked and I ended up eating three to five more pieces!

All of the french fries I ate ended up making my stomach feel funny, so I was going to have a nice, relaxing stroll home to try to settle it. However, my efforts were thwarted because Papper and his Canadian roommate were drinking at Swift's (East 4th between Lafayette and Bowery), which was on my way home, so I decided to stop in for a drink. Well, predictably, one drink turned into four, but the good news is that the Bushmills and sodas I was drinking totally settled my stomach. The quote of the night was when Paps' roommate, Rob, exclaimed, 'the Canadians saved your (our) asses in World War II'. That crazy Canuck nearly killed me! His remark caused me to lose the ability to breath due to hysterical fits of laughter. Once I regained my composure, I asked him 'which beach did the Canadians even land on at Normandy, Sword?'. He had no idea. Well, it was Juno.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

Lauren is a pseudo-carnivore. She should stop acting like one and just admit to herself that she's not a meat eater.

August 07, 2006 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this abbey person sounds fantastic!

August 07, 2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

did abbey just post anonymously about herself being great? that is making my stomach hurt from all the laughter.

August 07, 2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Youthlarge - Yes, I believe that 'anonymous' is none other than Abbey.

Anonymous - How are you? How is Chad? Have you electrified anyone lately? And yes, I feel that I look as though I think Abbey sounds and IS fantastic.

August 07, 2006 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i just electrified youthlarge!

August 07, 2006 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home