The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, August 11, 2006

What I Ate Yesterday

Really boring eating day. For lunch, I ordered a spinach and bacon omelette from the diner. When ordering, I thought the woman said 'no cheese, right?', to which I responded 'yeah'. Well, apparently there was a miscommunication because my omelette ended up having AMERICAN cheese on it. This made me doubly annoyed in that I a) did not want cheese on my omelette at all and b) if I had wanted cheese, it most certainly would have been cheddar. I am not a big fan of American cheese, as it is usually just cheese food product and not actual cheese at all. Actual deli sliced American cheese can be pretty tasty, especially the white variety, but usually people substitute cheese food product slices, or singles, for American. Because of this, I avoid American cheese altogether. However, I will eat it on a backyard bbq burger if I have no other alternatives.

Late afternoon I went to Balducci's (8th Avenue and 14th Street) and bought some salad greens, new potatoes and about a quarter pound of shrimp salad. I ended up eating all of the shrimp salad as a snack around 6:00p. It was quite tasty and not too expensive either.

For dinner, Big Eli stopped by and we ended up getting take-out from Great Neck. We each got a beef with Chinese broccoli over rice (a great deal at $3.50) and split half a pound of roast pork. I gave some of my Chinese broccoli to Eli because I was getting tired of eating vegetables. I was hoping that he would give me some of his beef in return, but no dice!

Like I said, not a very exciting eating day.

8 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

yellow and white american cheese are the same thing. just some food coloring in the yellow kind!!!

August 11, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

my favorite omelette is from stone park cafe and it's sans fromage. i get ham (or bacon, both cured in house or at least the bacon), tomatoes (roasted plums), mushrooms and garlic (sometimes whole caramelized cloves, sometimes perfectly cooked chopped up nubbins). once i got blue cheese instead of maybe the tomatoes and that was way over the top.

August 11, 2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

SWN - As I get older, I am less and less interested in omelettes and increasingly into 'scrambles'. Do you like those? How do you usually eat your eggs? Would you eat a fried egg atop a burger?

YL - I really feel that white American cheese TASTES better than yellow American cheese. Though, I'll concede that it probably just boils down to a question of aesthetics and perhaps the way I process visual stimuli. Also, your SP omelette sounds quite delicious, but since I don't like cooked tomatoes, I would probably sub those out for some onions, spinach or cheddar.

August 11, 2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

CLC - i always thought the same thing about white american. it was always my preference. but then two days ago i saw an episode of ham on the street about cheese and he did a blind taste test to prove they are the same thing. people would eat the yellow cheese and then when given the white cheese would be all, "wtf, this is the same cheese, give me the white cheese!"

cooked tomatoes are the best - esp. whole roasted roma/plummys. divine!

love scrambles but tough to get around here.

August 11, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

Ham on the Street is a half hour show on the food network. It's awesome - hosted by this totally cute and pudgy guy named George Durand. He's cute without being cloying and sarcastic without being mean. I guess he was super famous in France or something but is back in the states now. Each episode centers around a theme (tropical fruit, ham, cheese, comfort food, etc...) and he does all these things ranging from weird and silly (which wheel of cheese will roll further, blind taste tests, using instruments from a hardware store to manipulate said ingrediant) to basic (like recipes and such).

August 11, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Scrambles are more West Coast, I think. I've done most of my scramble eating in LA.

Since I do not have cable, I've never seen Ham on the Street, but I'm picturing the host to look like Weiss from Alias, Greg Grunberg.

August 11, 2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

Oops, his name is George Duran, like the band and Greg Grunberg is an excellent blind guess as his twin!

August 12, 2006 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cheese period!!!!
Except uncooked Feta Cheese. I think it smells like feet and taste like soap as for white or yellow cheese . I like the yellow cuz it prettier

August 15, 2006 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home