The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What I Ate Yesterday

Lunch

Salade Nicoise from Dom's (Lafayette and Broome, NYC) AGAIN. I'm obsessed. Whenever I go to Dom's to pick up lunch, I also like to get a solitary meatball to snack on en route home. Well, I took a huge bite of my meatball while I was crossing Broome and it went down the wrong pipe! I nearly choked to death walking south on Lafayette, but I was saved by the San Benedetto Gassosa (basically the same thing as Sprite, but better because it's ITALIAN) I bought to accompany my salad. So, why do we even have a 'wrong' pipe? What's it for? And if we do in fact need it, couldn't it hang out somewhere further away from the 'right' pipe?

Dinner

Lil' Frankie's (1st Avenue between 1st and 2nd, East Ville) with Newell, Sus and Big Eli. We tried to go to Pere Pinard on Ludlow, but they were having a problem with their gas stove and ovens, so the kitchen was only able to prepare cold items. We decided to just have a drink at the bar (I had a mojito) and then move on to a different restaurant. As you know, Youthlarge and I LOVE Lil' Frankie's, so I suggested we go there since none of my dining companions had tried it. They ended up loving it too!

We started with the Mozzarella di Bufala, which was served with tomatoes and fresh basil, and a $20 antipasto plate. The antipasto plates come in $15, $20 and $25 increments, so it is easy to tailor to your appetite and wallet size. You can also ask the chef to 'make it nice', which I guess means that he throws some extra bits of deliciousness onto your platter. This might be my favorite thing at Lil' Frankie's. I think I love it so because it is combo-bite Heaven, and anyone who has ever met me knows that I hold the combo-bite above all others. Anyway, here's what was on our cold antipasto plate: mortadella, coppa, prosciutto, some sort of air-dried cured beef, fontina, provolone, mozzarella, blanched broccoli and green beans, boiled new potatoes, beets, roasted peppers and grilled eggplant. What did I ever do to deserve such a happy day?! The only thing missing that I really would have liked was grilled zucchini.

For my entree, I was torn between the Tagliata Toscana (grilled, balsamic marinated skirt steak), chicken parm (always delicious, not usually offered at LF's) and fedellini vongole (capellini type pasta but even THINNER, served with garlicky clam sauce). I opted for the latter. Mine was delicious, but after sampling Newell's steak, I felt orderer's remorse. Big Eli ordered the sole, but didn't like it despite the fact that it was delicious. He kept reassuring the sole by telling it, 'really, it's not you, it's me'. CLASSIC guy move. Sus ordered the rigatoni polpettini (baby meatballs) after much indecision. Informing her that it's Youthlarge's favorite sealed the deal.

To drink I had two glasses of an Italian rose, or 'rosatta' as it were.

6 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

I had rigatoni polpetteni takeout for dinner tonight! It's totally my fave. But I'm totally having stomach problems - not due to this meal (esp. since I saved half for lunch or dinner tomorrow). I was having problems at work possibly from the number of chocolate covered strawberries I ate. Anyway, instead of going to Commonwealth for Balgavy's birthday, I'm at home going to the bathroom!!! Sorry, overshare.

I'm confused though - I thought they couldn't cook anything? And was the mystery salumi, bresoala? Sometimes I am a fan, sometimes it tastes gamey to me.

August 09, 2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

No, they couldn't cook anything at Pere Pinard. They didn't have gas in their kitchen last night. Lil' Frankie's was totally up and running.

August 09, 2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

oh, i totally missed that somehow. but i'm glad it resulted in a visit to LF! i'm surprised the antipasto plate didn't include zucchini - usually a staple there.

August 10, 2006 12:16 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

PS - Yeah, YL totally pointed out the NYT rose article to me and now we want to host a rose party. You should come!

August 10, 2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger Worthy Oriental Gentleman said...

I also felt orderer's remorse after tasting Newell's steak.

PS - last night I ate gelato for dinner and had a bagel for desert. The Italian restaurant on the upper west side where I got the gelato--san luigi--was so funny: they actually wrote: "hand-crafted gelato" on the bill. Andd what's up with this terrible new tradition of not allowing people to smoke OUTSIDE in New York?

August 10, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Yeah NYC - stop breaking my balls! It's so counterintuitive to me to not be able to smoke when outdoors. Sheesh. I still owe the City fitty beans for smoking at JFK.

August 10, 2006 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home