The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Sunday Brunch

Moutarde (we tried to go to Stone Park, but there was like a two-hour wait or something) with 75% of IYWMB - Young Turk, the Balltrap, Reason to Believe, Sweet Little Rock and Roller and Hot Legs.

We were still feeling pretty excited/exciting from the previous day's victory against our best bocce friends/arch enemies, the Coffee Flats Terrors. Suffice it to say, we chatted about it for a bit. Then the conversation turned to something more serious - food. Or more specifically, the various foods we would be ordering.

SLR'n'R noted that it was sort of obnoxious to offer three poached egg options (the usual suspects - Florentine, Benedict and one with smoked salmon), but no options for people who just wanted eggs, you know, not poached. I also didn't like that there was only one omelette option, which I might add, was MEATLESS. Blech.

So I was vacillating between the Salade Nicoise and a burger with Gruyere and bacon. Hot Legs was having trouble deciding between the banana pancakes and, like me, the aforementioned burger. Since we both suffer from burger envy, I encouraged him to enter into a burger pact with me, that way neither of us could be jealous of the other's succulent burger. I said 'there will either be two burgers at this table, or NO burgers at this table'. Then Hot Legs was like 'listen, if I don't order a burger, what are you going to order?' and then I said, 'the Salade Nicoise'. And then do you know what happened? Hottie L ordered banana pancakes and I STILL ordered the burger! I unintentionally pulled the old bait and switch. Suddenly I felt as though I had no honor...

Anyway, I was adequately punished by the forces who oversee things like burger pacts, because the burger, like so many other things, TOTALLY worked me. I ended up barfing about an hour after brunch. Booooo.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i'm finding "best bocce frieds" to be really funny right now.

i'm bummed that i can't just saunter into the restaurant on my corner for brunch without having to wait an hour for a table. i'm not in the habit of making reservation is for brunch. maybe i should just automate it? it especially sucks because i think it is the best brunch in the area, with a great selection and coffee included. i'm not a fan of a la carte coffee, as the case with moutard. at least they don't try to jack you by only offering cafe americans with no refills.

October 31, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I love the short rib hash at SP. I also want to try that brunch thingy they have with oysters there.

October 31, 2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

the hangtown fry intrigues me every time, but i've never pulled the trigger.

October 31, 2006 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home