The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Getting Grimaldi'd / Scared Stupid in the Slope

I should be over at Mary's right now carving a pumpkin, but I had a cat encounter last night that really did me in and figured being around a cat today would be bad news. So instead, I'm just hanging out at PSGHQ tending to a big red sauce and watching the Giants / Tampa Bay game.

Beth, I hope I'm not blog-blocking you by discussing the Grimaldi's dinner you mentioned in the previous post. By the way audience, how nice it to see our own China-Latina Chowhound back in action? Anyway, to celebrate our victory over the Coffee Flats Yankees, a few members of Team Rod headed over to Grimaldi's. To sum things up, we got Grimaldi'd and we got Girmaldi'd good. The first sign of trouble was when we were the next group to be seated and we got kicked out of the vestibule and had to wait in the blustery outside. The previous two groups were allowed to wait in the vestibule. Then the five of us got seated at a table that was barely larger than a two-top. It was more suitable for three diners, but whatever. Usually at Grimaldi's you're barely settled into your seat when the waiter comes around to get your order. We waited. And waited. And waited. I tried to get the attention of the waiter who was taking the order of the table next to us but he either didn't hear me or just ignored me. When it was finally time to order, I asked for "a large pepperoni and garlic" and "a large with sausage (pause) and then mushrooms on half." My words are currently being disputed by my husband who claims my choice of words had the potential for confusion. I stand by my account. I knew that ordering toppings on just a half is confusing so I made sure to be clear. Perhaps I should have said "sausage on the whole thing, mushrooms on half"? Maybe, but I still think "a large with sausage (pause) and then mushrooms on half" is pretty clear. So of course the pies come (it was close to 45 minutes after sitting down that we got our food) and it's mushrooms on half, but also sausage on just half! Our pepperoni pie was not exactly the warmest, nor did they remember to put much pepperoni on it. There were a couple slices where just one pepperoni had been dispersed. The rest of the slices had between 3-4. What a disappointment.


(what comes up when you google "bad pizza")

Now listen, I don't go to Grimaldi's for any other service than "what would you like to drink and do you know what you want?" But you can count on quick service, generous servings of toppings and a really great pie. We got none of these (ok, maybe "bad pizza" is unfair and inaccurate, but it was certainly not great) and it was a shame, because it was Sweet Little Rock N' Roller's first time! First times are supposed to be a magical, beautiful moment you write in your diary about. This wasn't one of those first times.

The moment when I knew things were really wrong, was when the pies were down to a single slice. I had consumed one small sausage slice and two bigger than average pepperoni slices, which may be a lot for most people, but under my Grimaldi's average. I didn't even want a portion of that final slice, which was cut in half to be shared.

Hmph.

A few hours later, Dan, Beth and I all were suffering from indigestion. Of course that didn't stop any of us for snacking like crazy at Skippy and Cortney's Halloween party later in the evening. Dan was enamored with Cortney's famous salsa, Beth the pigs in the blanket and me, the deviled eggs and queso. By the way, can you believe that someone ate the blanket portion of a pig in the blanket, but left the pig? Are you serious? Who does that? Luckily, Beth saved the naked pig from indignity.

Mad props to S & C for creating an amazing haunted house in their basement. It was really creepy and scary and will give me nightmares for the next couple weeks. I can't even get into the details because just thinking about it is making me look over my shoulder. I imagine their basement is pretty creepy to begin with without all the spooky accessories and in the daytime. There was some really skin-tingly frights.


(we memorized this waiting to have our order taken)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Listmaker said...

"sausage on the whole thing, mushrooms on half"

that was my point - they were idiots. i was worried that they wouldn't get the subtle nature of your order. meaning that you didn't hit them over the head a hammer. they were terrible last night.

October 29, 2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

"a large with sausage (pause) and then mushrooms on half." - while not a hammer over the head, i don't consider this subtle either.

October 29, 2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

The saying "nothing lasts forever" seems to ring true. Like a perfect band, restaurant, girlfriend, or celebrity, be lucky Grimaldi's lasted that long for you. Really.

October 30, 2006 12:48 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Man, we totally got Grimaldi'd - BAD. I think they put Visine on our pizza. I ended up in bed reading by 1:00A on one of the biggest party nights of the year! WTF?!

October 31, 2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home