The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Yesterday and Today's Breakfast: 'wichcraft / Our Daily Bread

Has it been over a week since we've written? It's been a little tough between computers dying, avoiding being laid off and apartment hunting. The good news is that yours truly still has her job and the CLC signed a lease on a new apartment yesterday. The news is that I'm on an IBM at work now, which I'm really not a fan of, especially since the H key sticks.

So yesterday I was craving an egg sandwich, but not a run of the mill one from the corner deli. I had recently ordered from 'wichcraft (see the previous entry) and was tantalized by a couple of their breakfast offerings, most prominently, the egg, frisee, bleu cheese and bacon on ciabatta. Holy cow, what a wonderful mix of deliciousness! It was a fantastic sandwich, though I could have maybe done without the frisee as I'm not much of a fan of warm lettuces since the heat causes them to wilt. I loved that the egg must have been cooked in a ringmold and though the yolks were hard, there was that spot of darker yellow in the center which I just love. It's the moment right before the yolks completely solidify which leaves them a bit moist and not as crumbly. Along with my breakfast, I ordered a lentil soup to eat later for lunch. I wasn't expecting a mostly pureed soup, but man, was it tasty. The broth was rich and tangy and there were bits of lentils and their outer skins. Unlike most people, I like the texture of legume and vegetable skins (chickpeas, tomatos, etc...). I don't know why.

For breakfast this morning, I hit the wonderful greenmarket in Union Square Park and picked up a cheddar and green onion scone at the Our Daily Bread stand. I've been eyeing this scone for some time since it's among the few savory breakfast options at the market. At $1.25, it's a great bargain and alternative to sweet breads. The dough is studded with cheddar shreds that have retained their shape in the heat, as well as finely cut rings of scallion. It took me two and a half hours to finish the scone, and that was even with my coworker taking a piece of it!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Your egg sandwich is making me crave a delicious half sausage / half potato frittata sandwich from Nicolo's in good old Montclair, NJ.

Things like scones and muffins take me FOREVER to eat. I've mentioned this before.

September 29, 2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Oh good, you guys are eating again. I was worried you were on diets or something. There's really no need ever for frisee.

September 30, 2006 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home