The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Last Night's Dinner

Al Di La (5th Avenue and Carroll, Park Slope) with Youthie L.

My first time dining here, despite the fact that it seems to be an old favorite of many. There was really nothing not to like about this reasonably priced, rustic Italian trattoria. To start, YL and I shared the beet salad (two types of beets, both delicious with great texture), along with a salad comprised of white anchovy fillets, yellow and red tomatoes, yellow CHERRY tomatoes (juicy and sweet), over a bed of bread, dressed in a lovely lemon vinaigrette. Seriously tasty. For dinner, YL had the spaghetti con vongole (this white clam sauce somehow manages to be perfectly simple, but oddly SPICY at the same time) and I had pappardelle in an amazing duck ragu. The ragu was just rich enough and tasted slightly of Madeira. The house red is also quite nice here. We split a carafe, which was actually a country kitchenish looking pitcher, and agreed that it tasted like delicious jam! In a good way.

Afterward, I went to the Warsaw in Greenpoint to see Rogue Wave. Since I sort of live in a bubble, I of course had never heard of them, but I went because my friend Heather is friends with Evan (bass) and Gram (lead guitar, sometimes drums). I was pleasantly surprised and especially liked it when they sang 'the Kids Are Alright' with members of Nada Surf (I COMPLETELY forgot about those guys! I seriously have not thought about them since the nineties.). Anyway, in addition to being a cool venue, the Warsaw also offers cheap drinks and homey Polish fare. Despite being stuffed from dinner, I had some yummy kielbasa with pickles!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i think we may have had 3 types of beets. definitely yellow and red, but also a lighter red that reminded me of watermelon. actually you thought it was a tomato!

September 14, 2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger Redboy said...

oh how i love the nada surf...if you dug last night i think you'll really enjoy this too matthew n ira acoustic styley :)

September 15, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i love the snack food at warsaw. hunter's stew, kiel-bas, pierogis, delicious! and i love the salty polish ladies who serve it to you!

September 15, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

YL - Yeah, those Polish ladies are the best! V. salty.

Redboy - Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check it out.

September 15, 2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate that blogger merged some blogs with google and not others and what it does to leaving comments. Trying again here...

Going to al di la and not having at least a taste of the swiss chard malfati in sage butter is a crime.

I dream about this dish. It is among the first things I eat whenever I come back to NYC.

It is that good. And you can get it at the lovely wine bar around the corner from the main restaurant.

September 15, 2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

the swiss chard was my first choice of side dish, but they were all sold out. will make a note of it to definitely try it the next time. i love greens.

September 15, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Sadly, they were out of the swiss chard on Wednesday. They were serving it with one of their specials, which neither of us wanted, but not offering it as an a la carte side!

September 15, 2006 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The swiss chard malfati is sort of a pasta dish, I think of it as what gnocchi wants to be when it grows up. It is divine.

September 15, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Hmmmm. Sounds mature.

September 16, 2006 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home