The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Today's Lunch: Make Your Own Salad

I am finishing up my lunch right now and trying to fight off disappointment. This mornining's pecan danish from the Bread Alone stand at the greenmarket plus a corn/rice/flaxseed cake from a coworker left me not very hungry for lunch. But I had a meeting at 2pm and the thought of not eating anything until at least 4pm was not at all appleaing to me. So around 1:50 or so, I decided to head downstairs to the deli next door for something to bring into the meeting. I opted for make-your-own-salad using a small bowl of romaine as my base. At this deli, your base includes a meat + 4 additional toppings. I went with turkey, roasted red peppers, chickpeas, cucumbers and a smidge of bleu cheese. For my dressing, some black pepper and a lemon herb vinaigrette. What an awful combination I put together. What was I thinking? I just don't like cubed meat unless it's a hunk of country ham or something like say, a square of chuck in a chili or stew. I normally get a hard boiled egg in my make-your-own salad, but knowing I would be in a meeting, I opted against since sometimes eggs can be a little stinky. I really hate when lunch sucks. Now all I can think about is how I am going to make it up to myself at dinner.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I'm realizing that NYC'ers don't know how to make a sandwich. Jersey shore people make better subs (secret is the bread and the oil and vinegar all yummy in there). Even the people up in Cape Cod put cukes in every sandwich. Nice. I realize you are talking about salad now so I'll shut up. Oh, my point is, why don't you get something besides rabbit food, you won't be disappointed. I pooped a hammer.

September 14, 2006 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home