The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Today's Breakfast

I've been sleeping horribly lately, so I didn't fall asleep last night until around 5:30a after watching a bootleg copy of the Da Vinci Code. Not to be a master of the obvious here, but it was really quite lousy. So you can imagine how not thrilled I was when my phone rang at 9:15a this morning. I looked and saw that it was my friend Ted, so I ignored it and went back to sleep. Then he called me AGAIN at 9:46a. I picked up the phone and asked him if he hated me. He said that he did not hate me, but wanted to get dim sum. I finally agreed to accompany him to Chatham, despite my exhaustion AND the fact that dim sum upsets my stomach roughly 97% of the time I eat it. We shared the bean curd skin one I always get and talk about, pork and shrimp shumai, shrimp and chive dumplings and an order of what I like to call 'fried perfection'. I first encountered 'perfection' in its non-fried form. It's a light, delicate dumpling made of pork, shrimp, cilantro and diced up water chestnuts. A few visits later, I spied what looked like 'perfection' go rolling by me on a cart, only it looked different, possibly even more perfect. IT WAS FRIED. Like its more health conscious cousin, the 'fried perfection' is delicious and bursting with flavor.

Anyway, about twenty minutes after our dim sum excursion, my tummy felt like there was a burning brick inside of it. I knew this would happen! So sad that dim sum upsets my stomach so, because I really do love the way it tastes.

2 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i think chives are really underrated. did it ever occur to you that maybe you are allergic to shrimp? just a thought.

August 23, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

NEVER. Though I had shrimp for dinner last night and felt gross afterward then too...

August 23, 2006 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home