The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, August 18, 2006

What I Ate Yesterday

Before I go into yesterday's eating, I just want to mention the delicious lunch I had on Tuesday to bid our friend Ilan so long, and safe trip back to Paris. We went to Cibao (Clinton and Rivington, Loisaida), which is one of my very favorite places for tasty and inexpensive Latin American fare. Ilan, Donovan and Sean Murphy all got Cuban sandwiches. This foot-long sandwich is perfect. Crispy on the outside and stuffed with juicy chunks of pernil, ham, pickles and Swiss cheese on the inside. Plus, they're practically giving them away at $3.50 a pop. I had been having some acid reflux issues ever since Nate and Heather's wedding, so I decided to go with the half baked chicken and um, french fries, instead of the succulent pork that I love so. Like everything else at Cibao, it was delicious, though I do wish that I had just gotten the Cubano. Next time.

Let's see. For lunch yesterday I had dim sum from Chatham again. I got an order of pork and shrimp shumai, delicious fried shrimp balls and my favorite, bean curd skin wrapped around pork and shrimp. Sadly, as dim sum so often does, it made my stomach feel really funny a couple of hours later.

Around 6:00p, Matt Lief stopped by and we decided to get a 'snack' at Great Neck, as we had some sort of tentative dinner plans at 8:00p. Since neither of us have any self-control, our light snack for two ended up being more like an ample meal for four. We each started with a bowl of wonton soup (each wonton was stuffed with delicious bites of shrimp), and then moved on to Three Jewels (roast pork, roast duck and soy sauce chicken), roast baby pig (this was seriously succulent, the best thing we ate) and roast duck and flowering chive spring rolls (greasy, but delicious). Our gigantic, fatty and rich 'snack' left me feeling sort of gross and weird. Hardly uncharted territory for me.

After some iced coffees, we headed over to Blue Ribbon (Sullivan between Spring and Prince, Soho) to meet up with one of Matt's friends from high school in London. Fortunately for us, no one appeared to be having dinner. Unless standing around the bar getting wasted can be categorized as 'dinner'. Some guy who claimed to be a Dept. of Homeland Security special agent bought us a round of drinks (Bombay and tonics). Then I noticed that they had Hendrick's, so for our next round of G&T's we decided to switch to that. Would you believe that a G&T mixed with Hendrick's at Blue Ribbon sets you back $13.50? Pretty steep, but you really can taste the difference. Matt ordered us half a dozen oysters (the Kamamoto were especially delicious). Then, because we're basically over the top, we ordered half a dozen more oysters and the fried chicken. The fried chicken was amazing and perfectly seasoned. It was so hot though that I think I actually burned the tips of my fingers while eating it. Hmmmm. Anyway, it was served with super rich and creamy mashies, smothered in wonderful chicken gravy, and collard greens, also smothered in something delicious, but I really couldn't tell you what.

During the course of the meal, Matt and I made a bet as to the type of meat a chicken wing is. I said it was a white and he said it was dark. I am certain that it is white and have never thought otherwise.

1 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

I think it's white too, while a drum and thigh are dark.

Your day of eating was truly ridiculous, Manchester, truly truly truly ridiculous.

August 18, 2006 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home