The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sunday Brunch: ici

On 9/19/06, The Park Slope Gastronome wrote:
Beth,
Let's talk about our brunch on Sunday at ici in Fort Greene. I was
very disappointed.
Yours,
Sujan

On Sep 19, 2006, at 3:53 PM, The China-Latina Chowhound wrote:
> Sunji,
>
> In addition to feeling disappointed, I felt hurt and saddened. Hurt
> because my silverware was SCALDING HOT as a result of all the backyard
> sun, sans the all-important umbrella protection most establishments
> afford their patrons. And saddened because brunch is supposed to be
> delicious, as well as a good value. This was neither. In fairness,
> the shirred eggs with prosciutto and collard greens were tasty, but
> they were way overcooked, hence NOT delicious. Also, it was just too
> expensive for what it was.
>
> GTLO!
>
> Beth

On 9/19/06, The Park Slope Gastronome wrote:
>>Barfy,
>>
>>I'm still in shock our shirred eggs did not come with any sort of side.
>>For $11, I expected a few nubbins of potato or a couple chunks of
>>melon (though I know you would have been disappointed by the latter,
>>being the starchy sort). There were a few highlights, such as the
>>teapot of coffee, excellent touch. As much as I love Liquors down the
>>street, they don't own a proper coffee maker and thus coffee is served
>>as Cafe American with no refills. But that doesn't atone for LOSAB
>>(lack of sides at brunch).
>>
>>Suzy J


On Sep 19, 2006, at 4:36 PM, The China-Latina Chowhound wrote:
>>>S-ey J,
>>>
>>>The lack of sides was nothing if not offensive, considering the $11.00
>>>price tag for EGGS. In general, I am not a big fan of a la carte
>>>brunches. I can sort of stomach having to pay for my bloody (at Great
>>>Jones Cafe I will happily do so), but I at least want a coffee
>>>included. I DEFINITELY want some sort of side to be included -
>>>potatoes, mixed salad, fruit... Even stupid Schiller's includes some
>>>sort of substantive side with all of their brunch entrees and they're
>>>a total rip! I felt like this place was trying to be a more country
>>>kitchen version of Freemans, which is overrated for dinner, but great
>>>for brunch. Perhaps Ici is the opposite?
>>>
>>>Manch

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Listmaker said...

seriously, Ici was one of the worst brunches ever.

September 19, 2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i have grill marks on my arm from the metal chairs baking in the sun.

September 19, 2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

DMR debated getting the french toast, but instead ordered granola with yogurt as well as a tartine. Moments later the frenc toast the table behind us ordered was delivered and I commented on how wonderful it looked.

September 20, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Ici was lousy and too expensive. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. It was so fake fancy.

September 20, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

The one sentence I've heard more than any sentence since moving to Park Slope: "But I hear they have good brunch". T-shirts should be made. My other t-shirt idea "My other baby stroller is another baby stroller", too, and to be sold at Nest or whatever.

September 20, 2006 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home