The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It's been so long...

Much to my chagrin, my new apartment is not actually cable and internet ready, though it purported to be, so I am currently interwebless in my home environment. Hence the rather gross lack of posts. Anyway, I've eaten tons of stuff since I last wrote. Pretty much the usual suspects though, so I won't even try to go retroactive here.

So, for lunch today I had Mongolian barbecue at some place called Variety Cafe (Broadway between Exchange Place and Morris Street). Variety Cafe is one those typically colossal NYC lunch places, catering to the panini loving desk jockey masses. You know, you walk in and there's a million different perimeter stations - pre-packaged sushi, custom salads, a carvery, soup, Italiano, regular deli style sandwiches and of course, PANINIS. In the middle of the joint are your standard hot and cold salad buffets. A lot of people say these things are Salmonella City, but I sort of like them. I walked to the back of the 'restaurant' and noticed that they also had a Mongolian BBQ station for $6.95 a pound. YES. I love Mongolian BBQ, not only because it is delicious, but because I love to pick my own ingredients. Here's what I threw into my bowl:

Some lo mein noodles (I think Youthlarge usually opts for Udon)
2 pieces of salmon
2 slices of chicken
2 slices of beef
2 slices of pork
1 tongful of shrimp
1 tongful of scallops
5-8 pieces of cut up asparagus
4-6 snow peas
6-9 slices of zucchini
1 small ladle of sesame oil
1 small ladle of black bean sauce

Then I handed it over to the Mongolian BBQ guy and he cooked it up for me and it was divine! So much proteiny goodness all in one dish. If you have this option by your office, I highly recommend hitting it up. Now, I'm sure there are some readers out there who might think the above combination is some pretty nasty shit, but me, I think it's delicious and I happen to have a very refined palate.

4 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i do usually opt for udon noodles, but occasionally, throw in a handful of lo mein. this place is fancy with the salmon. i go all beef all the time and like to dress with a shake of black pepper, a small circular squirt of seasame oil, a heaping spoonful of minced garlic, a ladle of soy with scallion, and a smidgen of both chili oil and ginger juice. i used to put in the ginger pulp, but the bbq master told me the juice is where all the flavor is.

October 18, 2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Wait - I had a big spoonful of minced garlic too. I want to eat it again for dinner!

October 18, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

p.s. anyone who thinks the above combo is pretty nasty shit, should shove it into their hollow leg!

October 18, 2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I agree. They should also buy some more sparkles and glow sticks!

October 18, 2006 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home