The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Cornichons on Sandwiches

I've had a couple sandwiches in the past week that have contained (is that the right word) cornichons. Why has it take me 30 years to try this? Two Saturdays ago, prior to a bocce match (once again, our opponents failed to show up), DMR and I picked up a couple sandwiches at Tazza. I wish this place existed on our block. The menu features reasonably priced rusticy sandwiches, a half dozen or so salads and a variety of dolci. DMR went with turkey and cranberry on a baguette, while I opted for ham, swiss and cornichons. They were generous with the ham and cheese, and the mini pickles provided a tartness with each bite. The coffee wasn't so bad either!

A few days later, I found myself at 5th Avenue and Union Street after an appointment with Gentle Dental. I was headed to game one of the NLCS and considering my options for food to bring to the game. I passed by Bierkraft and was lured in by a sign on their southern door which offered a free bag of Zapps chips with a made-to-order sandwich. I wasn't even aware that Bierkraft made sandwiches, but I guess I hadn't been by in some time because the layout of the store had been rearranged as well. You can pick a meat and cheese, along with a variety of spreads and toppings. I went with some hot salami and a soft cheese called Torta Ambrose (the latter being the proprietoress' recommendation). The horseradish cream they spread on both halves of soft Portuguese roll was full of big shreds of the root which provided a nice bit of heat. Instead of lettuce, tomato or even roasted red peppers, I went with some cornichons, which were sliced into tiny discs by the dude behind the counter. The chips turned out to be a dud (Sour Cream and Creole Onion - too salty), but the sandwich hit the spot.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

The Bierkraft sandwich sounds divine. I think I'll go there tomorrow! The Torta Ambrose sounds delicious. I think it might be the really nice mellow Spanish cheese I had on Shelter Island over the 4th of july weekend.

October 17, 2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i'm pretty sure the woman said it was an italian cheese. however, it refuses to be googlable.

October 17, 2006 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home