The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Frackin' Delicious

A few weeks ago, the CLC and I were invited over to our pal Marvin's (note, this is an alias) for dinner and a screening of that evening's new episode of Battlestar Galactica. Marv had prepared a delicious pot roast with a gorgeous gravy that I wanted to gulp down straight from the boat. He also put together some pickled red cabbage and mashed potatoes for our pre-show meal. Afterwards we still had a little bit of time before the episode began airing so worked off some of the calories by Wii-ing. We Wii bowled, Wii tennised and Wii boxed. I haven't had a workout this good in ages. My arms were wii-ly sore for the next couple days. I won't even discus the episode because it was incredibly annoying and made me mad, but that gravy! How much time do you have?

Marvy decided to reprise the festivities this past Sunday for the season finale of Battlepoop Shitactica. That night, he prepared a bacon wrapped pork loin. I was impressed by the succulence of the meat. Whenever I make pork, I always overcook it in a way you need a tricked out Ginsu to make a dent. His secret was to cook it in chicken stock and continually baste (did I get that right?). Accompanying our double shot of pig was homemade chunky applesauce and roasted Brussels sprouts. I've never been much of a fan of Brussels sprouts, but these were really good. It was a simple preparation stolen from Ms. Ina Garten, aka the Barefoot Contessa.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that before heading over to M's apartment in Chinatown, the CLC and I got pretty drunk. DMR was out of town doing fantasy baseball crap so I invited the CLC over to watch the basketball games. She was rooting for the Ducks over Florida in game one, while the one tournament pool I'm still a contender in dictated that I root for the Gators. I really did want to root for the Duckies since they were the underdog, but I had to go with my bracket. Sorry spirit of Steve Prefontaine. In the second game, we were both rooting for Georgetown over UNC and while doing so downed a bottle of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque 1996 without realizing it. It was probably the most delicious champagne I've ever tasted. The only mixer available in my apartment was a little carton of ruby red grapefruit juice so we made Moon Walks (champers and grapefruit). The CLC then polished off the trio of each with only a couple shots left vodka bottles, which I was grateful for since I'm moving soon and didn't want to move those bottles.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

"Pretty drunk" is a serious understatement - I was CRAZY drunk. I was rude to that girl whose name begins with a C! Whatever, I'm sure I would have been mean to her anyway, even sans delicious Perrier Jouet.

Also, M is a fantastic cook and an even better host. Thanks M!

AND I am so done with Kara Thrace.

April 10, 2007 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home