The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Last Night's Dinner: Anti-Valentine's Day / Nester Version

DMR is especially not a fan of Valentine's Day. I think it's somewhat of a racket too, but it's still nice to go out mainly because I like eating out. But mainly, we stay in. Last year he surprised me by "cooking" dinner at home. That is, he assembled pre-made items, which is all I can ask for considering he had to step into a market to pick up these things which I'm sure was hard enough.

This year I did the shopping and picked up the following for dinner:
• flank steak with roasted tomatoes
• sauteed spinach with garlic
• haricot vert with mushrooms
• fromager d'affinois (a cheese I had recently tried for the first time and loved)
• demi-baguette (I think from Tom Cat Bakery which they stock at Union Market).

and best of all for dessert, 18 oz of Il Laboratorio del Gelato in mint chip picked up from Bierkraft.

I reheated the flank steak in the toaster oven on the broiler setting, which brought it back to life. I had planned to reduce some balsamic vinegear into a syrup to drizzle over the meat, but forgot and turns out the meat really didn't need it. The veggies I placed in a small covered skillet to quickly reheat them and also resulted in a very hot pan lid, which I of course grabbed without a towel. There's a nice Mike n Ike sized burn mark on my palm. The gelato was soft and smooth with abundant chunks of dark chocolate. Somehow we managed not to eat the entire container.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

S - Where did you try fromager d'affinois for the first time? Was I with you? I feel like I just tried it for the first time recently too. Maybe I had it seperately? Hmmmmm, I wonder...

February 15, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

I had it on a cheese plate at Stone Park about a month ago. You were not with me, but Hot Legs and D-Train were!

February 16, 2007 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home