The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Japanese Shake n' Bake / Wattstax Party
(For Marge the Chestnuts)

Who knew Shake 'n' Bake could be so much fun? Well, apparently Mooney did and recently came over to shake it and bake it in the PSG test kitchen. He had received a care package from the inimitable Yu (aka Marge the Chestnuts) all the way from Japan, containing a bounty of treats, including Japanese-style SnB. I was curious and so Mooney graciously offered to include myself and some other friends in the taste test.


Here's Chef Mooney preparing to shake some cut-up chicken breasts and thighs. Even though I like to say I don't like dark meat, thighs are my favorite part of a chicken. I always thought they were white meat, anyway.


We used this packet of seasonings to coat the aforementioned chicken pieces. Mooney added some sesame oil into the egg mixture to up the Asian taste sensation. Don't the what I assume to be nuggets on the packaging look delicious?


Action shot!


This second type of seasoning was slightly spicier, and used on wings. It was difficult to coat such large pieces of chicken with a small amount of spices. Since none of us could read Japanese, we had to wing it (no pun intended). Perhaps we were supposed to mix the contents of each packet with flour or cornstarch? No clue. Maybe Marge the Chestnuts can fill us in.


Mooney brought over some Hot Chinese Mustard to use as a condiment. We supplemented the condiments bar with Hot Chili Sauce and Kewpie Mayo from my fridge. Here, he displays his great teeth strength.


The finished wings!


The finished SnB chicken. This was so good, I even picked some of the leftover crunchy bits off the baking pan.


The chef holds up a bottle of infamous Kewpie Mayo, while the sous-chef wonders when it will be time to eat. Rounding out our feast were some roasted garlic mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli which I made and some spicy vinegar-based cole slaw from Anne and Alex.

And then it was on to good times with the Wattstax crew!

Ain't I'm clean?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Dear PSG,

Why do you know so many people named Marge who aren't even really named Marge?

Those chicken chunks were fantastic. Juicy and delicious. I also loved eating the crispy bits off the pan...

In the photo with Chef Moon and the Kewpie, you look exactly like Emily Gilmore! And I still think CM looks like Alex D. Linz.

Bisous,

CLC

February 05, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

DN - I saw you on the subway this morning, but felt too shy to say "hi". Hello!

February 13, 2007 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home