The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

This is what I ate yesterday

I started an entry about Sushi Yasuda a couple of weeks ago, but am waiting for the amazing pictures my friend Matt took of this culinary experience before I complete and post it. In the meantime, I’ll just tell you what I ate yesterday.

I’ve been temping at Phoenix House on 74th and Amsterdam for the last three weeks or so and am now a card carrying Fairwayoholic. I’m addicted. Sometimes I go three times in one day. Yesterday I went twice. The first time I went yesterday was for lunch. From the prepared foods bar I got 2 slices of turkey meatloaf (I ate this on Tuesday too), three portobello mushroom caps (also consumed during Tuesday’s lunch) and an eggplant rollatini with all of the usual ingredients, but HAM as well! The turkey meatloaf and portobellos were delectable for the second day in a row, and the eggplant rollatini was outstanding too. To make matters even better, I’ve been all kinds of spacey lately, so I forgot about the bonus ham entirely and got all excited when I happened upon it with my fork and knife!

After work I decided to go back to Fairway to pick up dinner. I got some sashimi (2p tuna, 2p yellowtail and 2p salmon – v fresh and a steal at $5.99) and some karaage (6 lovely little pieces of fried chicken deliciousness). When I got home I had to run a quick 8 minute errand and then I totally scarfed my food. Afterward, I noticed that Mike Wrobo had texted me to see if I wanted to eat dinner. Despite having just wolfed down the aforementioned, I decided that I was still hungry and was up for a second round of eating. Mike felt like sushi, so we ordered in from Gen (Washington and St. Marks), which is right around the corner from my new and old apartments. I really like this place. I’ve gotten take-out from there a bunch of times and have not been disappointed yet. So anyway, Mike and I shared some tonkatsu (my dear old friend, DEEP-FRIED PORK) and a Mega Godzilla roll, which despite being rather stupidly named, was super tasty. The Mega Godzilla roll was comprised of soft-shell crab and avocado inside the roll, and perfectly crisped eel atop. Since it was Mike’s first and only dinner, he got some miso soup and a mackerel and ginger maki as well. Suffice it to say, I stole a piece of the latter and it was glorious.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i've always wondered about that Gen place. every time i've been past, the gate's been down.

January 11, 2007 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home