The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Wednesday at the Greenmarket

Taking a cue from Produce Stories, a list of items purchased last Wednesday at the Union Square Greenmarket.

- one head of hardneck/rocambole garlic from Keith's Farm
- two small flavored yogurts (1 coconut, 1 peach) from Ronnybrook Farm Dairy
- one tub of garlic butter from Ronnybrook Farm Dairy
- one small basket of shallots from the huge produce stand on the West side of the park
- one jar of Windy City Wasabeans from Rick's Picks


I am addicted to these. I love pickled green beans but my experience has been limited to the dilly kind. These are marinated in a soy-based brine with wasabi powder and are super crispy. They don't pack the caliente punch of his Mean Beans, but they do an amazing umami dance in your mouth! I ate too many in one sitting on Sunday and all the salt made my tongue feel funny. If that's the price you gotta pay, then so be it.

After the beans are all gone, my plan is to use the brine to make a batch of Bloody Marys for a potluck brunch I've been threatening to have for months.

Maybe for the PB (whenever and if that ever happens), I'll pick up a slab of Tamarack Hollow Farm bacon. I nearly did so on Wednesday, but didn't have enough cash on me. The other week I was having a post-work snack and drink at Boqueria with my co-worker Samantha and we happened to be sitting at the bar next to Mike Betit who runs the farm and supplies the restaurant with some of its pork products. I've been meaning to pick up some bacon since.

For the record, I had the salt cod brandade and a white anchovy tapas.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I'm a big fan of Ronnybrook Farm.

November 28, 2006 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with wasabeans! I make a version of a dirty martini with the brine. (It's also good fro marinating chicken, which I then use in a stir fry.)

December 04, 2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

hey lovers, we're having a rick's picks party tomorrow night at union hall. they are going to use the brine from some of their products to make fancy cocktails. coming?

December 04, 2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i'll be there after my sewing workshop. i need more wasabeans. i've been trying to find out their greenmarket schedule to no avail.

December 05, 2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home