The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I hosted a small ladies' brunch on Saturday!

Over the weekend my good friend Julie Dickover and her mother, Pat, were in town. We had lots of amazing food to eat and were usually accompanied by Youthlarge as well. Just a quick rundown:

Thursday - Dinner at Lil' Frankie's (I had delicious pappardelle in a veal ragu)
Friday - Dinner at Great Jones Cafe (I got a hearty medium rare rib-eye with perfectly seasoned collard greens (wait, SHR, was it kale?), and lots of tasty SHAGGIES!)
Saturday - Dinner at Veselka (I usually get the Deluxe Meat Combination here, but on this visit I decided to try the Beef Stroganoff, which did not disappoint!)

On Saturday afternoon I invited Julie and Pat over for a nice little brunch. I happened to be house sitting for my friend Lauren who lives in the West Ville, so I got up early and went to Citarella and picked up the following items:

- 1/2 dozen large brown organic eggs (I actually popped the hood to see if there were any cracks, which there weren't, but when I got home I realized that there were only FIVE eggs, which I inexplicably missed during my inspection)
- A nice New York State sharp cheddar
- 1 package of turkey bacon
- 1 container of Old Chatham Sheepherding Co. Sheep's Milk Yogurt (Maple)
- 1 container of Woodstock Water Buffalo Yogurt (Black Currant)
- 1 container of Liberte Six Grains Yogurt (Pear - by the way, this one was my favorite)
- 1 medium fruit salad
- 1 pint of raspberries
- 1 bottle of Looza Peach Nectar
- 1 bottle of Red Jacket Orchards Fuji Apple Juice
- 1 rotisserie chicken

Then, I went back to the apartment and cooked up the Yukon Gold potatoes Youthlarge got at the Union Square Farmers Market with the bacon I bought to get ready to make the FRITTATA, to which I added the sharp cheddar. After that, I put out all of the other food I bought at Citarella and just waited for Julie and Pat to arrive with the Prosecco so the Bellini brunch madness could begin!

Suffice it to say, it was GLORIOUS! For anyone who knows me, you can probably imagine that I went a bit overboard on the Bellini front though...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

it was kale!

November 15, 2006 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ay yo china latina,
Thats tight you hosted a ladies brunch. Whats next a PTA supper?
Nice groceries by the way.
How was the sheep yogourt?
Was it Sheepy?

November 20, 2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

The sheep yogurt was pretty tasty, but I thought the maple flavor was slightly too strong. I think I would have preferred it plain, with no flavor.

PTA supper or luncheon might be next, but I would need to become a P first and don't even have an H yet. Truthfully, I've always felt I would make a great Junior Leaguer and wife to someone wildly successful as I love to entertain, organize, am very philanthropic and have a raging drinking problem.

November 20, 2006 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha!!! Turkey bacon!!!

November 21, 2006 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home