The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sunday Eating

Was invited by Brooklyn’s premier board game party host to play Ticket to Ride EUROPE. The game was glorious and it prompted me to re-learn one of life’s most important lessons – Reading Is Fundamental. Like, when you get a card that says Amsterdam to Pamplona, don’t build a train from Amsterdam to Palermo. While it is a much more complicated route (which, by the way, I successfully built), you will not be rewarded for it in the end as it is WRONG. If only I would have actually READ my card instead of simply SKIMMING it. Regardless, the blow of my complete ineptness was somewhat cushioned by the delicious pre-game pizza I consumed.

We ordered two pizzas (one pepperoni, one sausage) from Graziella’s on Vanderbilt between DeKalb and Willoughby. To be honest, I don’t really eat pizza that often. I like it well enough when I eat it, but I never go out of my way to eat it. I have a similar relationship with bagels (though the latter DO actually induce headaches – maybe too many chewing repetitions?). I’ll eat pizza at Grimaldi’s, but that’s pretty much it. Graziella’s, like Grimaldi’s, is tasty thin-crust brick oven pizza. I find this variety preferable because I also don’t like bread or crust. I’ve had Graziella’s twice now and have to say, I love it. Each slice goes down so smoothly that it makes me wonder why I don’t eat pizza all the time. My fellow board gamers and I each scarfed down three slices, easy peasey, with the exception of my favorite cracker – the original Jimmy John Hong. It was his lucky day and he got to eat FOUR amazing slices. I think what makes this pizza so delicious is the perfect sauce to crust ratio. It must be even MORE perfect tasting in the actual restaurant.

Afterward, I went to my friend Zach’s house to watch the Pats/Colts game. I was very pleased to discover upon my arrival that ex-Commissioner Phil, who lives in Greenpoint, brought some wonderful kielbasa from his nabe. Zach cooked it up perfectly and we enjoyed it with some rye bread (which I did not really eat b/c I don’t like bread), sauerkraut (which we almost couldn’t open because the lid was, I think, GLUED instead of screwed onto the jar) and spicy hot mustard (also oddly difficult to open) – all from Greenpoint. Additionally, I was psyched that the Colts won because I’m totally done with the Patriots. I especially hate them because my former company built their stupid stadium, so as a rule, I always root against them.

1 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i also feel like you would eat pizza rolls.

jimmy j. hong is really funny.

January 25, 2007 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home