The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, February 23, 2007

comida typical

Before the long weekend, DMR and I were invited to dinner at the home of his former colleague Ms. R. Ms. R lives out in Bay Ridge and on the R train ride over, it occurred to me that I hadn't been to this part of Brooklyn (sans driving through it) in over 2 years! My boss, let's call him "Great Morning!" at the former workplace named for a vegetable moved to Bay Ridge shortly after I started. GM! would disappear for hours at a time on a daily basis and my coworkers and I just knew was home playing with his new dog. That job required me to traverse Manhattan and Kings County and on several occasions I thought about going into to Bay Ridge on the change I might bump into GM! and totally bust him. I digress.

Ms. R's husband cooked a typical Puerto Rican meal for us - red beans and rice, chicken and tostones. The chicken legs were super tender, with the meat easily falling off the bone. I had two drumsticks, DMR had three! Chunks of pork were cooked down with the beans, lending a savory smokiness. My favorite part of the meal were tostones. I've had plenty of platanos maduros in my day, but tostones were new to me. I love the way they're prepared. Green plantains are cut up and placed in a fryer for a bit. They're then taken out of the fryer and smashed to form a thinner disc and fried again. The result is an ultimate chip with a fantastically crisp exterior.

DMR and I did our best to clear our plates but we came up short as we had both been presented with a heaping mound of rice upon sitting down at the table. I was full for the next 24 hours.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed when hubby served you because that's the way his mother serves food. She serves it in mounds! His philosophy is better to be too generous than too stingy. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

February 23, 2007 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home