The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Yesterday's Lunch

As you know, I have a voracious appetite, but this heat has left me indecisive and apathetic on the eating front. Despite waking yesterday around 8:00a, it took me until about 1:00p to decide that all I really wanted to eat was a nice salad nicoise. My favorite place for salad nicoise is Dom's on Lafayette and Broome, but I felt like walking there in the sweltering heat would be a little too incidentally Bikram for my taste. So then I got the idea in my head that I could make my own, but then quickly realized that in order to do so I would need lettuce, tuna, haricots verts, eggs, new potatoes, anchovies and olives, of which I had none. Hmmmm... what to do? Then I thought about ordering a house salad from my local diner and picking up some potatoes and a salmon fillet to craft my own revised, simplified version of a salad nicoise. But THEN I realized that would involve way more effort than I was actually willing to expend. I ultimately ended up ordering the twin souvlaki platter from the diner, which is two skewers of pork souvlaki over a Greek salad, served with fries. Too hot for fries before the sun goes down, so I said 'thanks, but no thanks' to my little starchy friends. Granted, pork is not as light as say... tuna or salmon, but paired with the Greek salad and some cool tzatziki sauce, proved to be quite refreshing and really hit the spot.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can't stand the heat, pay someone else to be in the kitchen.

July 19, 2006 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home