The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Misc. Block Island / Shelter Island Eating - this is the end

I figure since I've been back from my island getaway for just over a week now, that it's time to wrap this entry up. So I'm just going to try to breeze through the remainder of the meals list style with very little commentary, but please feel free to make up your own!

Sunday, July 2nd - Still on Shelter Island.

Breakfast
2 little slices of banana bread
1 chop-chop (I was introduced to the chop-chop that morning by Aunt ML. It's simply a soft boiled egg, which you break up with your fork in a little bowl with some salt. The fork repeatedly hitting against the bowl makes a funny 'chop-chop' sound.)
2 slices of bacon (I would have had more slices, but the competition was fierce. The cooker of the bacon, Cousin Peter, forced us to make up little poems in order to earn our bacon. My first one went 'Oink, oink, yummy, yummy. I love bacon, in my tummy!' I have no recollection of the second poem, but it must have worked as I did in fact eat a second piece.)
1 Hole in One

Lunch
More sopressata filled antipasto. This time Aunt ML added some turkey cold cut to the mix, which I was glad for. Turkey cold cut and I have been close friends for quite some time now.

Dinner - Back on the Block!
Joyce was tired so Lauren, Dick and I met up with good old Ted at the Oar. The Oar was seriously crowded though, so we decided to go to Finns in the Old Harbor. Finns is right near the ferry, which was convenient since Ted needed to catch the 9:00p to Point Judith. I had fried clams (whole bellied, not just the strips) and chips. They were quite tasty. I've only had better ones once before, at some place in Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard.

Monday, July 3rd

Dinner
Grilled zucchini, eggplant parm (healthy, not fried), salad, boiled Jerusalem artichokes and grilled lobster. Prior to throwing them on the grill, Joycie stuffed the lobsters with a nice light breadcrumb stuffing, recipe courtesy of Jasper White. A perfect Block Island dinner.

Tuesday, July 4th - Last dinner on the Block.

Lauren made delicious crab cakes. These were great because I'm a real sucker for actual CRAB in my crab cakes, not just a bunch of bready filler. We also had some chowder from Finns, which never fails to please. On my next visit to the Block I plan to procure a Finns t-shirt.

I think that sufficiently wraps up all of the amazing eating I did on my trip. On a personal note, many thanks to my wonderful hosts! The only thing that surpassed the deliciousness of the food I ate was the graciousness of my hosts.

5 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

a. What's wrong with eating soft boiled eggs? What's not current about it? Humph.

b. I agree - V for Vendetta Hole in One is extremely odd.

July 14, 2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

p.s. auto-reverse, who are you? reveal yourself! we like to know our audience!

July 14, 2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I'm 50/50 on eating the little necky/memberish looking part. To be honest, I love the idea of steamers, but they often make my stomach feel funny afterward. I keep eating them though.

July 14, 2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i definitely psych myself out when eating steamers and just can't bring it upon myself to eat the nubbin. i have in the past and didn't feel all that great about it.

July 14, 2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I think we should go on some sort of fishy field trip to Sheepshead Bay. Seriously. Jack suggested it awhile back.

July 15, 2006 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home