The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Today's Brunch

Epicerie Cafe Charbon (Orchard and Stanton, LES, NYC) with Sean Murphy.

I had Steak Frites (medium rare) with a black iced coffee. In addition to frites, the steak was served with a nice mesclun salad, lightly dressed in olive oil and balsamic. I've stated this in previous posts, but seriously, the thing I love about frenchie brasserie type places is that they ALWAYS cook your meat to the requested doneness. I really appreciate that because so often one ends up with shoe leather when ordering steak. Last weekend Youthlarge, Listmaker and I all got the same skirt steak special at Song in the Slope. I believe both of them ordered their steaks medium and I opted for medium rare. Regardless, we all got well done. Whatever, it was steak, so I was still able to enjoy it.

Seanny got a croque-madame, which is the same thing as a croque-monsieur, but with a fried egg on top, a coffee and an orange juice - all part of the prix fixe, which I did not opt for.

During brunch, Sean told me that I can be rude and off-putting to strangers. He went so far as to say that he finds me to be obnoxious in general! So I was like, then why do you hang out with me all the time? And then he said something to the effect of wanting to keep me close so I don't turn on him. Man, could this week get any worse? At least my steak was delicious.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank god for steak! I'm sure if you are ever rude or off-putting to strangers they deserve it. Who needs strangers anyway? I could really go for some steak frites right now, with a spicy pepper sauce or a garlicky aioli to dip the frites in. At Sammy's Roumainian Steakhouse after Elijah's and my city hall wedding, Nate forced me to eat a stake that was barely cooked. I think the term is 'blue'. Ew.

July 16, 2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i am really not into a blue steak at all. some folks like black and blue, which is raw on the inside, charred on the outside. gross!!

July 16, 2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Oh K! How I miss you and Big Eli every single day. I'm so glad you are safe and sound in Cairo with everything that's going on in Lebanon right now. Maybe this sounds simple, but what ever happened to peace? Jesus.

In other news, black and blue steak is gross. That's how my dad gets it. He's fat. But I love him. A lot.

July 17, 2006 4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Blue steak can be a divine thing. Exploding with beefy flavor with a carbony shell as it's owns steak sauce. But it's gotta be from a thoroughly respectable place. Because you're really getting to know your cow.

July 17, 2006 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home