The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Saturday Brunch

Great Jones Cafe (Great Jones between Bowery and Lafayette, NYC) with Sus.

Great Jones Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. It has deliciously comfy fare and is also home to one of my very favorite cocktails - the Shaggy! The Shaggy is a close relative of the Dark & Stormy. The main difference between the two is that the former uses spicy Blenheim Old #3 Ginger Ale, while the latter uses spicy ginger beer, which frankly, is just not as spicy. The Old #3 has a lot of great heat behind it, with just a little bit of a time delay from when it first hits your lips, which I love. The other great thing about ordering a Shaggy at Great Jones is that the chances of it being made by Mark Ibold are very high, as he tends bar there a few times a week. My close friend Dickshack makes a mean Shaggy. In fact, her husband thinks that hers are better than the ones at GJC. Listen, I love Dickshack like a sister (hey Dickie-S, I'll see you in LA on Wednesday!), but I think Mr. Dickshack's judgment has been clouded by love. No one makes a better Shaggy than Sparky Marky. Plus, I lost my mind when I was a wee lass and heard Slanted and Enchanted for the first time, so I guess my judgment is a bit clouded too.

Anyway, the brunch deal there is really good. You get to choose from a number of yummy egg dishes, which are all served with either cornbread or a biscuit, homefries or grits and coffee, tea or juice - all for just $10.75. I've had brunch at a lot of places in this town, and I have to say, that is a seriously great deal. Now, as some of you readers may recall from the Schiller's brunch debacle, I hate paying for my bloodies a la carte. However, at Great Jones I really didn't mind. First of all, it was served to me in a huge pint glass and the cost was $7, not the absurdly insulting $10 that Schiller's has the audacity to charge in the middle of the goddamn brunch rush. Also, it was one of the most perfectly seasoned, well-balanced bloodies I've ever had. In a word, perfection.

I ended up ordering the Andouille omelet (with mushrooms, green peppers (which I picked out), onions and cheddar), the fluffy and pleasantly sweet biscuit, homefries and a coffee. It was one of the tastiest and satisfying brunches I've ever had. I can't believe all of the GJC brunches I've missed out on through the years! I've literally been frequenting this establishment since 1996, but inexplicably, only at dinner time! I feel like such a ding dong. I'm going to get brunch there again really soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

i love the burn of blenheim's. reed's is good too, but there is no real alternative for blenheim's.

June 05, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

p.s. i totally want dicky s to make me a shaggy!

June 05, 2006 11:05 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

CLC, I credit a friend of mine 9 years ago for raving about the Bloody Marys at Jones. It has been my hangout ever since. I visit at least once a week and when I can't, twice or three times a week to make up for it. I love those people.

Some say you can even order a Skippy, instead of a Shaggy. I have no recollection of when that happened, but it's nice. Dewars instead of rum.

Their anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks. See you eaters there.

June 06, 2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

great jones is my favorite bloody mary, hands down. it doesn't even need a garnish! i'm also partial to the crescent city smothered eggs/

June 06, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Oh, I lost 15 pounds one summer eating nothing but the Jones' salad (comes with shredded carrot (I hate carrot, this rules)) & garbanzo beans in a creamy lovely dressing. And whiskey & Blenheims, too. Nothing else.

June 06, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

J to the Roo - The Jones' salad RULES. Not only are the contents of the salad bowls delightful, but the little wooden salad bowls themselves really get my motor running too. They remind me of my mom and of being ages 4-8.

June 06, 2006 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home