The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Last Night's Dinner: JAMBALAYA!

Jambalaya Night at Papper's (D between 2nd and 3rd, Loisaida, NYC) with aforementioned host, Newell and Sean Murphy.

Big Pappy's Jambalaya - Chock full of meaty goodness (chicken, ham and KIELBASA). Paps included some really nice, unexpected touches too. Like thin slices of white carrot. This is something I never would have thought of, but it soaked in the spices quite well. A great flavor medium. He also used sofrito to turn the heat factor up a notch. There was some other sort of spicy love going on in there, but understandably, he would not disclose to me what it was. We are, after all, competitors in the annual Super Bowl Chili Championship.
White Rice - Never touch the stuff, unless I am REALLY hungry.
French Fries - I requested these because I wanted starch, but not white rice.
Maduros (fried yellow plantains) - An inspired, spur-of-the-moment idea of Newell's. I liked throwing these into my bowl of jambalaya to really get some flava going.

To drink I had two Kronenbourg 1664's (when ordering this at a bar in France, one can simply say 'seize' for 'sixteen') and one Stella. Refreshing on an incredibly humid night in the Metrop.

Afterward we went to Winnie's (Bayard between Baxter and Mulberry) for some drinks and karaoke. We ran into a minor actor there named Matthew Goode. I've actually IMDBed him because he was in that Mandy Moore vehicle Chasing Liberty (the one where MARK HARMON plays the President of the United States of America!) and I thought he was cute. Not so cute in person though. He was in Match Point too. I haven't seen it - I've had my fill of ScarJo.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

matthew goode is better than julie stiles, who just threw out the first pitch of the mets game. je n'aime pas le julie stiles.

May 29, 2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Once I was playing shuffleboard at Nancy's avec le Julie Stiles' boyfriend. She looked a little annoyed and had a strange ribbon in her hair. She used to go out with my friend Matt Lief and then she bad-mouthed him in Seventeen Magazine. Matthew Goode was cool and nice, just not as cute as he is on the big screen.

May 30, 2006 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home