The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Misc. Eating from Yesterday: I declare war on myself!

Yesterday I was at the Ubuntu office at lunch time, so Newell and I decided to get take out from Sophie's Cuban Cuisine (New Street, between Beaver and Exchange, by the Bull, NYC). While I find Sophie's to be almost excessively delicious, it can do a number on one's stomach. Especially if the 'one' is in fact me, because I have one of the worst stomachs in the WORLD! But I just can't stay away from the evil temptresses that cause me to complain about my stomach feeling funny, acid reflux and temporarily wishing I had never been born. So yesterday I ordered a huge plate of juicy and tender pernil with red beans (true to form, I skipped the rice). Even without the rice, it took me almost two hours to eat the preposterously large dish of food. My favorite thing about Sophie's is that they serve this amazing creamy green sauce on the side (I think it's habanero based). It's super hot and compliments the succulent pernil perfectly.

After I finished at Ubuntu, I went up to Bryant Park to meet Cram for a little Yankee baseball (Pinstripes in the Park, brought to you by the YES Network and Continental Airlines!). They were showing the Yankee / Tigers game on the big screen, had special ballpark-like concession stands and the requisite roving vendors. Unfortunately, the weather in Detroit was not as nice last evening as the weather in our great metrop, so there was an hour and a half rain delay, during which I ate a mediocre grilled chicken sandwich. Due to the late start, Cram and I decided to stay only for two innings before high-tailing it back to his place to watch the rest of the game.

Upon arrival, we decided to order from Atomic Wings (1st Avenue between 11th and 12th). But then Cram remembered that he had some quiche that he wanted to eat in the fridge, so then I ended up being the only one eating wings, which sucked! Luckily, Sean Murphy was there, so he helped me out with the buffalo wings (I ate 7, he ate 3) and the gravy fries I ordered. Being the generous girl that I am, I gave Sean unlimited access to the carrots and celery that accompanied my wings.

About an hour later, lasting until early this morning, my stomach and acid reflux felt MISERABLE. I mean, we're talking burning brick in the pit of your stomach type sensations. I should have known what I was getting myself into the moment my feet started heading toward Sophie's. The pernil was like a routine day at the base, but somehow, you just couldn't shake that ominous feeling you had in your gut. And then the wings were the effing attack on Pearl Harbor. Ouch. I hope I learn my lesson one of these days.

5 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

mon dieu! you are outta control CLC, outta control.

p.s. don't forget that when you start a post and then finish it up later that it will keep the time you started at when you publish it - which i find tres annoying.

June 01, 2006 11:15 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I think you need to start an alternative blog for the acid reflux type feelings. Or you can contribute to mine : meandmycolon.blogspot.com Don't worry, there will be no photos.

June 02, 2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Now THAT is a good idea. I'm going to check out your colon blog now! Have you ever heard of Dr. Natura? Check this out:

www.drnatura.com

June 02, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

have you had a colon cleaning? andy kaufman was really big on colon blows.

June 02, 2006 5:12 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

No way man, but I know people who have. Should I do it? I mean, I have the time.

June 02, 2006 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home