The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Another Misc. Memorial Day Weekend Eating Pt. 1

Our Memorial Day weekend adventure started off late Friday. DMR and I were picked up by Lethal Dose of Love and Oh God I Wish I Was Home Tonight, aka Bowles and Beth (not the same Beth as the CLC). A few hours into the trip, we made a stop at the BK - Burger King! Actually we went through the drive-thru because they were closed.

I grew up with a Burger King down the street from the apartment we lived in when we first moved to the 'burbs and so I consider myself a BK Kid. My mother likes to tell the story of how I used to eat like 3 Whoppers when I was like 4 years old. I know, gross. Also, once I lost a tooth eating a Whopper and totally swallowed it! The high school I wound up attending was across the street from that first apartment and we had open lunch, meaning we could totally hit up the BK durinfg the afternoon, or early evening like after band or theatre practice (Yes, nerd, I know it!). I don't have Burger King too often these days, in fact I can't even remember the last time I've had it, but I have fond memories. Does anyone else remember when they started serving family style meals in a basket? I'm talking fried chicken or shrimp, complete with cole slaw and a buttered roll.

But I digress. DMR and I had a little pasta and red sauce before hopping into the Volvo, but there's always room for BK. I got a Whopper Jr with cheese and extra pickles. I've always loved how you could get extra pickles. And I also got a small order of onion rings, something that is sorely lacking from the menu's of other fast food chains. They now offer something called Zesty Ring Sauce as an accompaniment. It was a really nice change of pace from ketchup, though I really which I hadn't taken a look at the list of ingredients. Dan inquired through the sqawk box if ther was a burger with bacon and barebeque sauce. His question was met with silence. So after 20 seconds or so, he asks again and the woman was all, yeah, I have that. Basically Dan got a custom burger. You can totally have it your way! He hates lettuce, tomato and onion on his burgers (yeah, I don't get it either) so it worked out perfectly as he was given a piece of meat between a bun with just strips of bacon and a slosh of sauce.

I'm sure this was not what you were expecting! There's more to write so stay tuned for Parts 2 and 3 when we cover "The Harney" "Happy Ending Sundaes" and "The Ultimate Lobster Experience."

1 Comments:

Blogger Listmaker said...

i like grilled onion and will tolerate lettuce. but most tomatoes - no way. although i will eat both in middle eastern sandwiches. go figure.

my burger also had cheese.

May 31, 2006 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home