The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Another Misc. Memorial Day Weekend Eating Pt. 3B

Part 3B mostly takes place in a huge white tent, the site of Dan and Jessie's wedding. After the ceremony, we gathered in the tent and the first thing I spied were plates of crab rolls. Were we supposed to help ourselves? I wasn't sure so I stayed put. Then servers started walking around with plates of snacks. The funny thing about these servers were that they were like 8 years old and I know I scared them. I wasn't trying to be greedy mean adult, but they kept looping around without coming near our table so finally, I had to do the hand wave to get their attention and there was one little server girl I know I totally spooked out. The two hor d'oeuvres I enjoyed the most were the mini sliced steaks on polenta with horseradish cream and mushroom and asparagus wrapped in phyllo. Yum, I'm getting hungry just thinking out them. At this point I watched some other guests make their way to the various food stations so I ran up and grabbed some crab rolls for the table. We were then told that there were homemade ice cream sandwiches and these were the proper first course (whooda thunk?). I went for the vanilla ice cream between two brownie squares. DMR opted for chocolate ice cream sandwiched between chocolate chip cookies. There was also an option with ginger ice cream. That may have been paired up with an oatmeal cookie.

I would wind up eating another crab roll before the day was over (and to tell you the truth, I probably could have had another couple). The rest of the food was an interesting mix of vegetarian and carnivore friendly fare. There were some Asiany snacks like vegetable maki rolls, veggie tofu skewers and inari stuffed with wakame salad. There was local fare like smoked trout, moose (just kidding!) and the crab rolls as well as overall crowd pleasers - like the chocolate fountain, into which you could dip fresh strawberries and profiteroles. As far as I know none of the kids stuck their finger into the fountain!

The beer selections were quite unusual. I saw a keg sitting around, but I never sampled its contents, because I was too busy trying two new-to-me beers: Black Sheep Ale and St. Peter's English Ale. The latter came in a gorgeous chartreuse flask bottle with a cute little crow on the label. Its unusual shape and color seemed more akin to a medicine bottle. One day I'd love to try their lemon and ginger beer. That sounds tasty.



The beautiful wedding cake was the last thing I'd eat - a delicious and moist carrot cake (with no raisins, hooray!) with cream cheese frosting. I took a small slice, but I wish I had taken a bigger one!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Stop fucking eating! You're gonna make yourself sick!

Ahem. Since you ladies are the comestible experts, may I ask, what's the verdict on Clemente's Maryland Crab House in Sheepshead Bay? And if you haven't partaken yet, may I suggest a PSG outing?

June 05, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I've not been to Clemente's Maryland Crab House. In fact, I haven't really spent much time in Sheepshead Bay at all. Once I went there to go on an all-day fishing boat excursion, which I highly recommend, but that's pretty much it. Wait, I did eat at some greasy fish shack afterward, but I don't remember what it was called. Let's have a field trip!

Jackeroo - You have a lot of amazing ideas! Update your colon blog!

June 05, 2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

You missed the fingers in the chocolate fountain. And the kid who stuck his head in the stream like a water fountain.

Parents were cursing us.

June 07, 2006 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home