The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Another Misc. Memorial Day Weekend Eating Pt. 3A

Saturday morning, the Brooklyn convoy joined groom-to-be and some friends and relatives for a Bar Harbor breakfast at a cutesy, totally Stars Hollowy place called Cafe This Way. Everyone seemed to know each other and everyone had a baby - either in their belly or b/w the ages of 10 and 14 months.

I had the most awful time trying to figure out what to eat from the menu, which was one amazing sounding dish after another. The one thing I knew I didn't not want was one of the special scrambles of the day because it contained fiddleheads. Gross. I do not like fiddleheads at all. They have that same slimey ooze that okra do. Fiddleheads taste like boogers. I like a lot of strange root and mountain vegetables, like bracken root and burdock but do not make me eat fiddleheads please. Just the list of specials (minus the fiddleheads) was making my head spin. I wanted the special pomegranate mimosa. I wanted the strawberries with fresh cream. I wanted bacon! I wanted ham! In the end I opted for The Harney, which was corned beef hash, two poached eggs and hollandaise. Oh and some toast. It got the thumbs up from the locals and from me too! I loved the way the eggs were poached. Sometimes when you get poached eggs they can be gooey. I like mine soft and a little runny, but also a little firm. When I dip my toast into the yolk to break it open, I want it to run but not like an out of control volcano. I also got my holy breakfast drink trifecta of water, coffee and bloody mary which came in a pint glass (a steal at $5!) garnished with a pepperoncini and an olive. DMR did not like his very much, but I did and drank some of his. I bit open the pepper to release some of its heat. I also added liberal dashes of black pepper as I like my bloody M's super spicy. DMR took a slightly healthier route with his entree and went with the granola, which came with a unique and delicious cinammon yogurt, as well as ample blueberries and banana slices. But he also got a side of bacon (which turned out to be 2 strips, one of which I ate) and some toast.

If I lived in Bar Harbor, this would be my Luke's. Well, maybe. I should probably try some of the other breakfast joines before I go shoot my mouth off.



p.s. I just looked at their dinner menu online and they serve bibimbop!!!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

The Harney sounds divine! I love CBH. My mom makes really good CBH w/ the St. Paddy's Day leftovers. How come you and AB and BB didn't sit together?

June 02, 2006 7:06 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Oh man. I just looked at the brekkie menu for Cafe This Way, and after scrolling all the way down, past all 8,000,000 omelets, I seriously find myself wondering how the fuck you ever decided what to eat. I would still be sitting there, contemplating, coming up completely blank.......

June 02, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

dmr thought we should split and mix it up.

as for the menu, i was thinking maybe the A&A, but then below it was the smokey and below that the howdy doody and then i was just lost. simply lost!

June 02, 2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger Wisdom Weasel said...

I think I mentioned it but all the named dishes are christened after local worthies- the Harney is named after the founder of the Down East Aids Network. And the restaurant itself started out as someone's college senior project.

As for trying other breakfast joints, I woudn't bother: all traditional greasy spoons with food service bulk ingredients. The prices hold true though: CTW is the most expensive breakfast joint in town.

Thanks for coming up, and thanks for diplomatically witholding any bad reviews of the wedding grub, which I didn't get to eat, except for an ice cream sandwich (ginger-macadamia w/vanilla) and a crab roll later that night. Oh, the irony.

June 07, 2006 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home