The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Today's Brunch

Had brunch at Les Enfants Terribles (Canal and Ludlow, NYC) with Newell. At first, I thought the service, like the children, was terrible. In hindsight, I think I was just really hungry and ornery because the waitress ended up winning me over, despite the fact that she served me water in a not so clean glass (there was pulp) with a live bug swimming around in it! Oddly, I was not that grossed out by this because the bug was such a good swimmer. I took an interest in him the way most people take notice when someone decides to swim across the Channel. He successfully swam from one end of the glass to the other, but decided to double back and never completed his second length. Sadly, the little bug passed away more or less equidistant from either side of the glass (R.I.P - April 29th, 2006). Despite our sadness, we still somehow managed to eat:

Newell - Eggs Benedict with bacon, french fries and salad ($9.50), 3 cups of coffee ($1.50)
China-Latina Chowhound - Duck leg confit with Guinea pepper, served with french fries and a frisee salad w/ crispy bacon - bonus meat rules! ($10.50), 1 caipirinha ($5.00) and 3 cups of coffee ($1.50)

Mine was delicious. The duck was succulent and practically fell off the bone. Newell's was just so-so. I thought the yolk did not look runny enough, but he assured me that it was. Overall, I give today's brunch 3 stars out of 5. This place is much more impressive at dinner time. Better menu, scene and service.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger youthlarge said...

I could realy use some coffee now, preferably without a bug floating in it.

There's this bar, Bouche Bar that I felt like every time I went there and ordered a glass of wine, there was a fruit fly floating around.

April 30, 2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Once I was at this bar called Chango on Park around 22nd Street and my friend saw a fruit fly in her margarita and when she told the waiter he was like - well, we make all of our drinks here with FRESH fruit, so I guess that's why there was a fruit fly in your drink. As if that explanation made it any less gross or helped in the slightest! Quite the opposite; it made us even more annoyed.

April 30, 2006 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home