The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Another Tonight's Dinner (But Really Last Night's): Geido

I worked up a huge appetite playing soft ball in Red Hook last night. This was my first time playing with this team (Magnetic Field) and I was a little nervous. I didn't hit a lick (in fact each at bat, the ball would travel a lesser distance) wound up playing a pretty good first base and got named MVP! We went back to the bar and had a beer and celebratory shot of Powers and then it was off to Geido with Listmaker, BonitoJack and the People's Cortney.

I become loco at Geido. It's a wonderful little Japanese place that's like half izakaya / half sushi bar. Everything is so reasonably priced, I always over-order and wind up busting my belly. A small bamboo tray of steaming hot towels was placed on our table as we sat down and I just had to sink my face into it. It felt good. Our friends ordered first, getting a bottle of cold sake, shumai, an EOP roll, Dynamite roll and like 100 pieces of tuna and Spanish mackerel. And then it was our turn to order, well my turn since I have to order for my husband at restaurants like these. A sudden bought of ADD took over and I totally ordered all over the place. We started off with some miso and shared a small green salad. Then we got a plate of ika rings. Panko covered squid which looked like a plate of onion rings. For our rolls, we also got an order of EOP and Dynamite, basically because I couldn't think and I had just heard Bonito order them and it was fresh in my mind. Listmaker loves his unagi so we got some eel battera, which is nigiri sushi pressed in a wooden box. I trade one of our eel batteras for a Spanish mackerel. TASTY! We definitely had enough food there, but then Jack had to go and reminisce about this cheese katsu dish on the menu and so I had to order one. Basically it was 3 layers: panko, pork, melted cheese. Holy moly it was good. I'm glad I got some exercising in earlier. For dessert, we got Listmaker's favorite: green tea ice cream with crushed red bean sauce. Before we started eating he said there was no way he would share dessert, but he began to lose steam around the cheese katsu and definitely needed help to tackle the ice cream.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

That dinner sounds delicious! I could love me some Spanish mackerel right about now. I want to go there. Where is it? I think I'm going to a bar in Red Hook on Saturday called Moonshine and it's BYOM! Yeah, you heard me right - Bring Your Own Meat!

April 28, 2006 12:01 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i want to go to the Good Fork and eat korean steak and eggs. what meat are you going to bring?

April 28, 2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

The katsu is out of the bag. We definitely need to try to recreate that soon. Good job MVP.

April 28, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

Steaks, pork chops and yummy sausages!

April 28, 2006 4:03 PM  
Blogger planbreaker said...

The Times article on the Good Fork made it sound pretty tasty. I'll be eagerly waiting for your report...

April 28, 2006 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home