The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

KFC at home

I was craving Korean Fried Chicken big time earlier in the week. After work I hopped over to Bon Chon in K-town and picked up a large order of the #1 that I had placed about 20 minutes earlier. The #1 is called the special and is a mix of wings, drumettes and drumsticks. I asked for a mixture of hot & spicy and garlic soy.

I must admit, I was quite self-conscious toting my big Bon Chon bag on the subway. The word chicken is written in the bottom corner and though I brought a plastic bag to help rein in the smell, I'm sure the other passengers were noticing something was up! I just kept telling myself that there are many smells one can encounter on the train that are a lot worse than spicy fried chicken.




Bon Chon holds up ridiculously well. After the hour plus commute, the skin was still crispy and the chicken still hot. The box was divided in half, which each side containing 2 full drumsticks and 5-6 small pieces, maybe even more!



To drink, we busted out a bottle of Hitachino Red Rice Ale. The beer's sweetness played really well with the chicken, especially the spicy pieces which were at extra strength that day.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Listmaker said...

if you wanted to bring this home once a week, i would not complain.

August 12, 2007 2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never had worse service than i received in bon chon. i now frequent the, closer to me, bon bon chicken on chambers (tribeca). besides they have a mega-spicey version for the masochist in me.

August 13, 2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

the one in manhattan? that's a bummer, but i'm also not surprised. walking in there for the first time, i was surprised by its poshness. it looks more like a club where you pay $300 for bottle service.

August 13, 2007 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was thinking nightclub when i walked in. i stood there for approximately 5 minutes waiting for the hostess to look at me. I was the first one there and no one was behind me. It was weird. After 5 minutes I said hello. She said they weren't open for another 5 minutes. That was the highpoint of my experience.

Bon Bon is cuter. Cute logo. And they serve these little white buns (my ex used to call them Hawaiian sweet buns)(or was that me she called?) that are so tacky but so yummy.

http://bonbonchicken.com/

August 13, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

Bon Bon is great! Had some at our friends place a few months ago. Sadly, they did not pack up any cole slaw or sweet buns for the takeout order. I thought their standard spicy was pretty damn spicy so I would have to stay away from off-menu spicy.

August 13, 2007 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home