The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Circular things eaten at a wedding

Christy and Carl were married over the weekend and for the reception Nils made 200 cupcakes in chocolate, almond and ginger. I really wanted a ginger one, but I knew it would be tough as he only made 40 of them. I picked up a non-chocolate one thinking I had the elusive ginger in my midst, but it turned out to be almond. It was still delicious. DMR and I shared that and a chocolate one, which was also delicious.

Nils is no joker in the kitchen. He makes his own gravlax. Who does that?



As day turned into night, 10 pies from Joe's showed up! I don't know who ordered these but you're the best! A fresh mozzarella slice helped to soak up all the alcohol and allowed me to keep on truckin'. Then DMR and I shared half of a buffalo hot wing slice that Blaine couldn't handle. In his defense, it was a lot hotter than expected, with no bleu cheese to provide a cooling effect. Then another food miracle happened.


SkipJackBonito appeared before our eyes carrying a bunch of these delightful treats and we scored one! I've seen these in the freezer case at Bierkraft and have always wanted to try one. Delicious creamy gelato from Il Laboratorio sandwiched between chewy discs of brownie. Yum. We shared ours with Christina and Charles. The rest of the night is a blur.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gravalax should always be made. Not only does it taste a lot better but it is super easy. Couple pounds of salmon (Copper River or the new king, Yukon River is preferred), 1 cups of salt, 1 cup of sugar, dill, cracked peppercorns, splash of secret ingredient (lemon vodka). Refrigerate for 2-3 days.

August 07, 2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

chooky! where've you been? as simple as the gravlax process may be, i find the idea of all that salmon daunting.

i want to do the smorgasbord brunch at aquavit. have you eaten there? people seem to either really really love it or find it very overrated.

August 07, 2007 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. I've been out of town. I had dinner at Aquavit. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. But I spent a lot of time in Minnesota so perhaps that has something to do with it! It was very unique food and well prepared and fresh. Never heard of the brunch. Is that some all you can eat deal? [fingers crossed]

August 08, 2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

I believe it is all you can eat - but it comes with a fairly hefty price tag. $50 I think?

I want to go to Minneapolis and eat at Al's.

August 08, 2007 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be honest. I had no idea what you were talking about when you said Al's. Although now I do. I only went there once when I was at the University. But it was very very good. But the better breakfast (or post pub crawl binge restaurant) is Mickey's. Order a breakfast plate with potatoes O'Brien on the side and a Sputnik (burger) on the side too. And you get to eat in a cute trolley car.

http://tinyurl.com/2fmhwe

August 08, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Bart's bro is making gravlax over at Sidecar (it was the special of the day when Cort and I went last week!). Was damn good. Cort's so funny, she's like, "what are these things again?". Capers, darling, capers. I guess they didn't have those in Tejas.

You're welcome on the Bierkraft sandwiches. Those totally kept me going! Alli bought the pies!

August 09, 2007 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Martin said...

Greeat reading this

December 11, 2021 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home