The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Friday, August 03, 2007

It Crawled from the South Part VIII: The Salt Lick

While in Austin, we took a little side trip to Driftwood, TX, to each some barbeque. Our destination was the Salt Lick, which many barbeque snobs seem to be down on but I am no barbeque snob, unless you're serving a gnarly grey mass. I've wanted to go to the Salt Lick for many many years, but the only time I've ever been in Austin previously was for SXSW (for work, might I add) and just never found the time. Many purists believe if you're going to drive out to Driftwood, you may has well drive out to Lockhart, which was part of our agenda anyway so why not spread the barbeque love?

The open pit were your meat gets delicious-fied. The hanging sausages are just a lovely sight.




I think this guy here slicing the brisket is the son of the founders, Thurman and Hisako Roberts.


Gettin' ready to dig in! DMR can barely contain himself.


In attack mode.


We both got the meat combo plate - beef, sausage and pork ribs. They were served with ample portions of beans and non-mayo-y potato salad and cole slaw, as well as a plate of onions and pickles and a hunk of warm bread. All this for $10.


I thought it was ALL good. I think the brisket was my favorite - it was lean, but moist. I also really liked the snap of the sausage skin. The ribs were my least favorite, but I still really liked them. I liked all the sides too. If anything, maybe it was a little to saucy for me, but that didn't deter me. Don't be a hater.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these pictures, looks good, I am soo hungry!

August 03, 2007 12:41 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

I have to give credit to DMR who took all the pit photos!

August 03, 2007 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home