The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

It Crawled from the South Part III: Music City, USA Day One

After a few nights in Memphis, DMR and I headed to Nashville! After making the three hour drive, we met up with some work colleagues of mine for a lunch of meat and threes at Arnold's Country Kitchen. Once again I messed up and forgot to grab the camera from the bag but the wonderful Holly's Eats has a great entry on Arnold's with a ton of photos, including this exterior shot:


So basically Arnold's is a no frills cafeteria style eatery. Grab a tray, tell 'em what you want and don't hold up the line. The food was so tasty and the workers cheery and funny as hell. I think no matter how fast you place your order, they'll still be telling you to move faster. I loved being there. I loved having my food served to me by these sassy ladies. I loved the food. Dan and I both went a roast beef platter with potatoes, green beans and mac and cheese, along with a sweet tea to drink. The meat was accompanied by some of the most flavorful jus ever. It was peppery and rich and went well with all the sides. Along with your dish, you also get cornbread two-ways. One is a little baked muffin and the other is a flat corn cake which is apparently griddled like a pancake. For dessert, I tried some of JT's chess pie, which reminded me of derby pie minus the chocolate. A little too sweet for me.

Why do we not have meat and three joints in the East? Where are all the cafeteria style places around here? This is exactly how I like to and want to eat on a daily basis. I hope I get back there in my lifetime.

Afterwards, we hit Las Paletas for some Mexican popsicles, but they were closed!

That evening, Dan and I went to a Nashville Sounds game. As he mentions, the most exciting part of this stadium is their guitar shaped scoreboard. Second might be that they sell Chick-Fil-A sandwiches. I had a couple bites of Dan's and a soft Super Pretzel with nacho cheese dipping sauce.

The game was super snoozy boring and I even fell asleep for a bunch of pitches. It went into extra innings and we left to visit a honk-tonk downtown called Robert's. The band that was playing was pretty awful, but the Hi Life was nice and cold. We sat at the bar and ordered up some dinner. I went with a grilled cheese with onion rings and DMR a cheeseburger with fries. The onion rings were pretty good and it's tough to fuck up a grilled cheese. DMR thought the burger wasn't even mediocre. Man, it was a long day.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Listmaker said...

the south has good food all figured out.

July 20, 2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger planbreaker said...

oh, I feel sad you missed the Paletas! The last time I went there I ate two by myself and then split another one with df. I don't remember the flavors though-- something with lime, something with mango and something with peach. I actually went in search of paletas last week at all of the Mexican joints around here but no luck. One had a paletas cooler but it was empty.

July 25, 2007 8:06 AM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

i knew i should have written up all of nashville in one post!

i want to say that the bodega that is down the street from o'connors on the opposite side of the street sells paletas. or they at least have a sign in the window.

July 26, 2007 10:18 AM  
Anonymous Lucas Sabatier Marques Leite said...

Thank you for sharing tthis

September 03, 2023 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home