The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Introducing for the first time: DeCoursy's Sidecar

Before delving into the monumental caloric intake from the trip down South, a little post to tip our hat to DeCoursy's Sidecar (560 5th Ave between 15th and 16th).

We've been waiting for this bar/restaurant to open for a while now and it's finally time! Run by our friend Bart (ex-O'Connor's) and his brother Johnny (who I believe used to man the raw bar at Blue Ribbon Brooklyn), Sidecar is making us regret our move to Clinton Hill. Ok, not really, but it'd be great to still live within a 10 minute walk of this place.

Over the weekend the DeCoursy brothers opened the doors to friends and family for a little soft pre-launch. There may not be a classier joint around.


Exterior shot with their fantastic hanging signage.


I started with a few malpeques, which were served with this delicious cucumber mignonette that I wanted to slurp down like a shot of vinegary gazpacho. Don't mind the large ice cubes - I heard the ice crusher was down.


DMR and I then tackled a BLT soup - greens, tomato and bacon in a chicken based stock topped with crouton with a dollop of aioli. Incredibly, Johnny said he had only one order for it the previous night! WTF? I wish we had each ordered one!


DMR went with a burger and I was about to order the Vietnamese pork sandwich, but then my mouth opened and "fried chicken" came out. The meat was tender and juicy and the crust nicely seasoned and crunchy. I was a big fan of the "succotash" served on the side, and not just because of the pieces of bacon that were sauteed along with the vegetables. That's root mash as the other side.


I obviously liked my chicken. It was a hearty portion of drumstick, thigh and breast and I ate it all (with a little help from DMR on the thigh which I had saved for last).
The diet starts tomorrow!!!



Dessert was peach cobbler and despite my allergy to stone fruit, I dug in. I had to stop once my mouth started getting super itchy, but those few bites were totally worth it! I imagine desserts will be changed up regularly.

Although they are still awaiting their liquor license (very soon is the word), Sidecar is officially opening its doors tomorrow. Their house cocktails, which we'll write about once the bar starts rolling, will include old-timey standards like the Moscow Mule, Pimm's Cup and of course the Sidecar, as well as some new ones concocted by Bart. Until then, it's still certainly worth it to stop by for the food and to plug some quarters into one of the finest jukeboxes around (or an original Spy Hunter arcade game if that's your speed). The DeCoursys have poured a lot of love and soul into the place and the thoughtful little touches mean a lot to a nitpicker like me! I knew it was a good sign when we sat down at "Johnny's Bar" (aka the bar in front of the kitchen) to eat and there was a hook for my bag. Oh, and the bathrooms boast the XLERATOR, the greatest hand dryer ever known to man.

DeCoursy's Sidecar
560 5th Ave between 15th and 16th
Brooklyn, USA

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris Larry said...

Yo it was me that ordered soup on Saturday!!!!!! Its so the bomb....the table was like we have enough food, but I had had it already and just ordered it anyway.....love that dolop of gooey whiteness.......

July 10, 2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

there is never too much food when bacon is involved, bacon w/ gooey whiteness especially!

July 10, 2007 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww yeah...I'm bringin' my west coast appetite!!!
August 20th!!!

-The Crimefighter

July 11, 2007 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hit the new joint on Wednesday and the Fried Chicken was one of the most succulent I've had North of the Mason Dixon line. I will definitely be back to try the other items on this menu. This place is totally filling a void in the area. Also, the wait staff was knowledgeable and friendly. Can't wait for the bar to open to try some of Bart's concoctions.

July 12, 2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

great review, I can't wait to try this place.

July 12, 2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what are the prices like?

August 09, 2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger youthlarge said...

menupages has the menu up with prices.

August 09, 2007 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home