The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

road trip to new haven

I took an impromptu road trip with Mooney and Yu to New Haven, CT, for some pizza. Dan chose to stay home to watch the Mets march towards another late season failure. After careful consideration, we decided on Frank Pepe. Based on closing hours, Sally's was our fallback and then Modern. I've been meaning to get up to New Haven for years now, not just for pizza but because Dr. Abby's been living here for a while and I still have never visited.

Yu can't contain her excitement for a clam pie.

Small clam pie. I love the roughness of the pie's shape and non-scientific slicing method.

Large spinach and sausage. I never think to order spinach as a topping, but this worked out so deliciously! The crusts were super thin but held up well to the toppings.

It's me and Dr. Abby! We are both drinking beers, but I am drinking clear birch beer.

The aftermath.

The famous ovens and super long pizza peels.

We were all stuffed but felt it was our duty to head a few blocks over to Louis Lunch, home of America's first hamburger. The meat is cooked in these ancient vertical ovens and served on toasted white bread with a schmear of cheese spread. Tomato and onion are options, but ketchup is not! I got a gassosa to drink and could not finish my half of the burger I split with Abby. Mooney made good work of his. I think Yu had a bite. Next time, I will have to sample a burger on a slightly less full tummy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home