The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lunch at tHe BistrO (aka the HBO cafeteria)


A friend of mine recently started working at HBO and invited me over for lunch at their employee cafeteria. Despite its silly name, I was psyched.


Sensing my arrival, the featured cuisine was Korean! Thanks, guys. By the way, $0.30 an ounce is not a typo.


Even though I didn't like they way they spelled kimchi, I thought it was very bold of the HBO cafeteria workers to serve it for lunch. As much as I love to eat the food of my people, it makes me paranoid as hell. It's so pungent and the smells really freak people out. Even though Korean food is I guess a bit trendy these days, I am scarred for life from all the times that people made fun of me or made a big stink (no pun intended).

I had a little bit of both kinds: cucumber and carrots to the left, cabbage and of all things, water chestnuts on the right. Both were tasty! I'm going to guess they had a ringer on hand or imported the goods from a Korean market.



For the main portion of my lunch, I opted for the hanger steak special.


A very generous portion of steak, potato wedges and roasted cauliflower for $5.99! I had enough left over for lunch the next day. You know what $5.99 gets you in midtown? Not much! I'll scoop some beets onto my plate at Dishes and it's going to cost me $5.99! $5.99 barely gets you a medium soup at Hale & Hearty. THe BistrO is a dream come true. I also had a huge rice krispie treat and a Tea's Tea that, ironically, cost almost as much as my entree!


Lindsey had the salmon burger as a platter, with a trio of salads. One was jicama and some other stuff. I think it cost fifty-five cents. I wonder if Omar's eaten here.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger mas said...

When I worked there for a few weeks, I ate there every day - so good and so cheap!

April 17, 2008 9:45 AM  
Blogger LINDSEY PEARL said...

i can still taste that salmon burger. when are we doing it again?

April 17, 2008 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that looks awesome and i love the cheap factor. gotta get a job at HBO!

April 20, 2008 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home