The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

So Everybody Loves Bacon

Anyone who has ever met me knows that I love bacon just about more than anything. I would happily throw my own grandmother under the bus just for a perfectly cooked strip of it, but I have to say, I am finding this current proliferation of public displays of affection for bacon irritating and played out. Granted, the bacon love has been growing steadily for a while now, but in the past year it has really reached a fever pitch.

Like many American desk jockeys, I spend an inordinate amount of time on Facebook. Why, just this morning I became a fan of David Morse, but I will NEVER become a fan of bacon. At this point, being a fan of bacon is like being a fan of world peace – it should go without saying. But the current bacon loving climate seems to be all about talking incessantly about it and making sure everyone around you knows how much you love bacon because they supposedly love it too. In fairness, a lot of my irritation is self-inflicted as I don’t have to go on Facebook and see in my newsfeed that X and Y have become fans of bacon and that Z just baked some cookies using bacon spice, but I do and it annoys me. I am only human and enjoy a good kvetch.

But really, when and why did bacon get so cool? And why has the market become so saturated? Yes, bacon salt makes sense, but bacon messenger bags, bacon stationary and bacon bras? At this point, my poor co-blogger has more canisters of bacon band-aids than she knows what to do with.

Also, do all of these rather vocal lovers of bacon really even love bacon? Like, did everyone who started wearing Kiss t-shirts in 1999-2000 really love Kiss???? Just wondering… I guess what gets me the most is that bacon is not at all new. It is and has been a staple of much of the world’s cuisine practically forever. So this current faddism is disturbing to me.

I for one have been wrapping various fruits of the sea and other deliciousnesses in bacon (growing up my favorite hors d'œuvre was oysters wrapped in bacon), eating it for breakfast and arguing that it is the leading gateway meat for recovering vegetarians for years – back when I would imagine many of today’s bacon fans were gnawing on their Boca burgers.

That being said, I am in no way trying to be proprietary about the genuine love and affection one can feel for bacon – if someone started NAHBLA, I’d be the first to sign up. I have just grown tired of people blathering on about how much they love bacon and how it makes everything better, and so on and so forth. Truthfully, I prefer to love my bacon more privately and avoid this runaway bacon bandwagon altogether.

But just in case, maybe I should start a Facebook fan page for something more specific, like bacon nitrates. I do sort of like how they make me feel really hyper.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Dr. B. How about moving straight to pork belly? Skip the bacon altogether, the true faddists probably don't even know what pork belly is.

January 27, 2009 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have recently discovered bacon (well,this past year) and every little scrumptious bite means so much to me.
but, last summer i did see a bumper sticker that said :
I Heart Bacon.
i laughed at first, and then i cringed.

January 27, 2009 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled "when did bacon become so cool" and am so glad your blog was one of the results because it is really getting annoying. I think it's part of the gamer-world's humor like just saying the word "fail" when someone makes a bad joke or messes up. What a stupid expression. Ok. [me + soapbox-->me - soapbox]

November 18, 2009 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home