The Park Slope Gastronome

Back in Park Slope.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

in-flight menu

I know airplane food sucks, but I look forward to it on every flight. I love all the little compartments that fit perfectly on your tiny tray and the potpourri of foodstuffs (often in mini form).

On this Air France flight, we were given out little paper menus describing our food options. You can tell why I thought the meal might have an Asian twist. Seriously, what is up with the illustration?



According to the menu, my meal consisted of (counter clockwise from bottom left):

Satueed beef with chasseur sauce accompanied by baby vegetables and mashed potatoes (I also had the option of a cheese ravioli with aurore sauce and shrimp as my main course)

Seven-grain salad served with sauteed chicken

Cheese (in this case a wedge of President brand Camembert)

Kozy Shack rice pudding (the menu does not list pudding, instead entrements)

Coffee-chocolate chip cake

To drink I had a bottle of the Vin de Pays d'Oc Cabernet Merlot 2006 Castel.

The grains in the salad weren't cooked long enough and the chicken was rubbery. The dish was ice cold as well. The main was a typical airline dish - mushy protein in a salty sauce, and the cake was dry and crumbly. But I ate all of it because I was starving. The rice pudding was vanillay and delicious. There are few things more homey and satisfying than a container of Kozy Shack.

Before landing, we were served breakfast - a yogurt, orange juice from concentrate and a pastry. I opted out of the first two things and tried the baked good which turned out to be a nasty roll, completely devoid of any softness and dotted with about 5 "chocolate" chips the size of those tiny silver dragee balls you see on fancy wedding cakes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger China-Latina Chowhound said...

I love little food compartments and miss eating off of little yellow trays. Surprisingly, I had some of the best polenta I’ve ever tasted on an Air France flight.

February 02, 2008 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home